PDA

View Full Version : Tear in Vinyl

fredtex
06-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Hello Im new to this forum. We own a 3 yr old ultra frame, 16' round 48" deep pool. Finally got it up with an upgrade to an Intex sand filter salt water pump. Needed higher water pressure to operate a Raypak Nat gas heater.
Last year there developed a tear in the Vinyl where those metal cross members go through to "clik" into the poles. It's about 2 inches long and not growing.
Could I use a vinyl pool patch kit so that the tear will not get bigger? I mean a real patch from Intex. Not a patch for a leak. I have an old kit that has a little vinyl material with the grid work. Looks like the bottom of the pool. The tube of glue is hard. Could go to any pool place to get vinyl glue? Or should I order an Intex repair kit?
Are my thoughts here valid to repair this? Are we allowed to post pictures here?

Watermom
06-22-2014, 01:34 PM
You can use Flickr, Picasa, etc and use this to button to post the pics into your thread. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/images/editor/insertimage.png

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc
06-23-2014, 05:41 PM
If I understand your question, I think you could only patch that using the reinforced Intex fabric, rather than simple un-reinforced vinyl sheet.

. . . membership updated.

fredtex
06-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks a lot!
I had a piece of the original vinyl from Intex and used that. It extends a couple of inches beyond the tear. The vinyl glue from the pool place is pretty strong stuff. The glue is in a can similar to the PVC cleaner/glue cans with two daubers.
Fred

PoolDoc
06-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Got pictures? Send them to poolforum@gmail.com with the thread # 24841.

Let us know how it goes.