PDA

View Full Version : Hate baquacil; drain pool or convert?

poolgal13
06-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Boy, I wish I had seen all the negatives about Baquacil before I switched from chlorine. I just converted our small 3000 gal. pop-up pool 4 days ago and I already have this slimy, pink-brown junk clogging up my filter cartridge every few hours (which I am told could be water slime). I can barely get any output unless I wash and scrub the cartridge with a toothbrush. My water foams (fun for the kids) and is hazy. I hate wasting a week converting since our season is so short, and I hate to drain the pool because the water temp is so comfortable.
My instinct says partially draining and refilling combined with the conversion process might work the best--would this shorten the transition time? Is the Baquacil water safe to drain into my grass? And finally, is the bleach safe for my Intex vinyl pool?

prh129
06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Most everyone here is using bleach in their vinyl pool and vinyl is vinyl no matter what brand of pool you have so that is not a problem.

I don't think that the Baquacil amounts in your water should be a problem for your grass but I don't know for sure.

If you can monitor the pool water frequently and keep the chlorine level up at 15 ppm, you might be able to get the conversion done in 3 days or less (I believe someone was able to do it over a weekend) so you might not need to drain at all.

Good luck!

Peter