PDA

View Full Version : New Pool Owner - Marcite Curing

Saltlifebob
06-18-2014, 02:03 PM
First, I'd like to say that this is a great site for a pool owner. I've just had my inground pool built and filled on 6/6/14.
It's approx. 15,000 gal, 14.5 x 32 concrete shell with Marcite plaster. The pool looks great and kids love it.

I'm a bit concerned with pH levels. I've ordered the K-2006 test kit from the link on poolsolutions.com, but while it's on the way, have tested the water with the test strips. Will take the water to pool supply store today for testing.

Pool builder told me to add a pint or two of acid once per week for the next few weeks until marcite cures. Haven't added any acid yet b/c it looks like (from strips) the pH is bordering on 7. Called the pool builder, he told me not to add acid, but also not to add baking soda yet. If I understood correctly, the acidity will aid in curing the marcite.

All sites I've gone through say that low pH is not good for the pool, especially plastered pool.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BigDave
06-18-2014, 03:41 PM
As I understand it, curing plaster tends to raise pH. Builder told you to add acid to counteract this trend - don't need to if the pool's pH is already low. I hadn't heard that low pH helps cure the plaster, learn something new everyday.

Welcome!

PoolDoc
06-20-2014, 10:21 AM
. . . membership updated.