PDA

View Full Version : I have green water too - help

ilikepools
06-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Opened up pool and I have green water ( I can see the bottom kind of - 52" deep). The readings I have are
Hardness 200
Free Chlorine 10
PH 7.5
Alkalinity 120
Cyanuric acid 30-50
I added chlorine (a lot), ph + What they said to add), Algae stuff(What they said to add), stain remover(What they said to add), Clarifier(What they said to add) to get the reading I`m at so far. When I said (What they said to add I ment what it said on the bottles) I have the test strips. Should I add more of something. I`m into day number two. I have vaccumed the pool also. Pool is 24' round. Water should be at 13,594 gallons I was told.
I see here people are talking of bleach. Never used it or told to use it. 6th season having a pool? Never had the problem that I have now with green water.
Bought cool skirted winter cover that worked really good first season (doen`t raise up and whip in the wind like a balloon) Only thru the next winter a mouse ate a few holes in my nice new cover (to late to get a kit to fix during winter close so we used duck tape instead ( not good it all came off over the winter to let spring things fall into the holes.) There is where my problems started.
If anyone knows what I should do next please let me know. Thanks

Watermom
06-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Most of us use plain, unscented bleach as our source of chlorine. It will clear up your pool. With a cya of 50, you need to shock the pool with enough bleach to raise the cl up to 15 and try and hold it there without letting it yo-yo up and down. Test 2 or better yet, 3x a day and each time, add enough bleach to get your cl back up to 15. In a 24 ft AG, each quart of 6% bleach will raise your chlorine level by 1-1.5 ppm.

Your alk, ph, and hardness are all fine.

Don't add anything else to your pool except bleach. No matter what the pool store tells you to do. You don't need it. Bleach will kill the algae and is all you need right now. Also, run the pump 24/7.

Keep us posted how things are going and by the way, welcome to the forum! Hope this helps.