PDA

View Full Version : Small Niche and LED light

Canar
06-17-2014, 07:43 PM
I have a fiberglass in ground pool. Because of the curve my installer installed a spa niche at the end of the 40 foot length. He said the normal size light is known for leaking on my model. I have had 2 different LED lights in the pool since it was built. Both had the long cord and the whole unit just slid into the niche. Both were 500 to 800$ and a major brand name. Both have failed after a couple years use. I have been seeing LED bulbs online now. They are like 100$ and look like they are meant to screw into a normal bulb socket. My niche is just like a round opening and has no place to screw a bulb into. Is there a way to convert my niche so I can use one of these bulbs?

Second question is a spa light does not do the best job lighting a 40 foot long pool. What's my best option to light this properly? Should I stay away from colors and go white? Is LED not good enough yet?

Ted

PoolDoc
06-18-2014, 07:38 AM
. . . membership updated.

I think you can browse through Pentair's lighting catalog (http://www.pentairpool.com/sections/lighting-33.htm) and get an idea about your options. But if your builder stuck you with a spa niche, then you are stuck with spa lights.

Sorry.

kelemvor
06-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Is there a way to convert my niche so I can use one of these bulbs?

If those are the lights I am thinking of they are meant to go into an incandescent light in place of the incandescent bulb. I think you'd have to buy and install an incandescent light. Then you could buy one of those bulbs and replace the incandescent bulb with the LED bulb. My understanding was that the lights that are native LED are brighter than "convertabulbs" for lack of a better description.

I'm curious about the failures you've had. Are the LED lights leaking and failing because the electronics inside got wet? Are they just failing for no apparent reason? If it's the latter, it could possibly be a case of "dirty power" or spikes or something like that. Do you go through a lot of light bulbs inside your home?

Canar
06-20-2014, 11:18 PM
If those are the lights I am thinking of they are meant to go into an incandescent light in place of the incandescent bulb. I think you'd have to buy and install an incandescent light. Then you could buy one of those bulbs and replace the incandescent bulb with the LED bulb. My understanding was that the lights that are native LED are brighter than "convertabulbs" for lack of a better description.

I'm curious about the failures you've had. Are the LED lights leaking and failing because the electronics inside got wet? Are they just failing for no apparent reason? If it's the latter, it could possibly be a case of "dirty power" or spikes or something like that. Do you go through a lot of light bulbs inside your home?

I don't go through light bulbs but who knows on the power here. Neither of them leaked. The first one just died. The last one has just been flaky. Sometimes only one color will work. I got the one I have now because Savi used to make an LED pool light that fit in a small niche. Unfortunately they discontinued them.

I hate the thought of going incandescent. What is the brightest light I can get that will fit in a spa niche? Seems they are all set for 100W.

Ted

kelemvor
06-21-2014, 10:26 AM
I haven't heard of savi (not that THAT means anything) but their website says their products have a 5 year warranty? Are your lights older than that? If not, pursue a warranty replacement.