PDA

View Full Version : Fool Store

Big Splash
06-17-2014, 11:55 AM
The last couple visits to the two local pool stores in my area has just about convinced me to never go back. Store 1 is local family owned. Store 2 is that big national chain. Store 1 sells the 5 gallon jugs of liquid chlorine. However, I've started to question if the 12.5% concentration is being diluted. I went there the other night just before closing. Walked up to the front door lugging my two empty jugs to return. Two employees came out, locked the door, said "we're closed" and jumped in their cars leaving me dumbfounded. How rude!!! Well then, I go to Walmart and buy some 8.25% bleach. I pour roughly the equivalent amount desired into the skimmer. Tested the next morning and whatta ya' know... I get more than 2x the typical results I would have gotten with the "12.5%" stuff. Hmmmm maybe something fishy here???

Next day after returning returning the empty jugs (I declined the refills) at store 1, I'm off to store 2. I'm looking to buy some more DPD powder (store 1 doesn't carry this). Guy asked me why I need this since only commercial customers use that. I just say I like to test often. He then tries to sell me the 1/4 pound bottle for $75. He wasn't to happy when I told him I could buy the same item on Amazon.com for $36. Tried to tell me that was a wholesale price. Last I checked, amazon is an online retailer. Meanwhile, there's another fellow pool owner being told he needs their Alk Up stuff as a result of the free testing. I look at him just shaking my head.

Now, I'm just a newbie at all things pool like. But I do know how to read and make my own judgments. Thanks for the great resource here. Other than buying dry acid (I have a curious toddler to keep safe), I can't see why I'd go into the Fool Store again.

Splash

Watermom
06-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Higher concentrations of liquid chlorine seem to lose their potency faster than lower ones. So, they are probably not diluting it but it is just degrading. The turnover and sell rate for Walmart bleach is quick so more likely to be fresh.

Glad you are learning here and enjoying the forum!

(BTW, I like your new term --- "Fool Store." ;))

Big Splash
06-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Higher concentrations of liquid chlorine seem to lose their potency faster than lower ones. So, they are probably not diluting it but it is just degrading. The turnover and sell rate for Walmart bleach is quick so more likely to be fresh.

Glad you are learning here and enjoying the forum!

(BTW, I like your new term --- "Fool Store." ;))

Yes, I considered that lesser inventory turnover rates leading to degrading potency might be blame. I just didn't think it would have such a large effect. The FC jumped to 10.5 with the 8.25% Clorox brand when I was expecting about 4 ish.

Texas247
07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
I was "pool-stored" when we first bought our house with a pool. As first-time owners, we didn't know any better :)...after much online research I stumbled upon this forum (LIFESAVER!). I tell everyone I know about it and encourage them to get the right test kit through the site. A Leslie's store opened up around the corner from our house, which was terribly convenient, so I hesitantly went in to purchase the liquid chlorine (10%) and equipment I needed to replace. When they asked about my maintenance methods, I point-blank told them I used the BBB method, that it had worked for me for years, and I wouldn't consider trying anything else. Rather than try to sell me chemicals I didn't need, they actually wrote down the name of the forum and now recommend it to their customers! I was surprised that they would, but I've seen/heard them do it while I was in the store! A very pleasant surprise, and great for the customers they service :)

Big Splash
07-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Must be something in the water down in TX ;)

Let's hope it spreads (before they replace that crew).