PDA

View Full Version : Pool Pilot Questions

Finbar
06-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of installing a Pool Pilot Digital but I have a couple of questions:

I know over sizing is recommended but would an RC-52 be overkill for my 25,000 gal pool or would an RC-42 be more appropriate?

I have a vinyl liner pool and have basically ignored my calcium level which is very low (30). I see Autopilot recommends a range of 200-400. Is being below that range an issue?

If I have to raise my calcium level does the salt have any effect on calcium levels? Should I add the salt first then raise calcium or vice versa?

Does anyone know how big the manifold is? I plan on putting the unit where my inline feeder is now and would like to know if it will fit there. The manual does not list the size or any other install instructions other than it should be upright and the last thing before the return.

I plan on installing myself so does anyone have any low price/reputable dealer recommendations?

Numbers:

FC-3.0
CC-0
TC-3.0
PH-7.3
Alk-90
Cal-30
Cya-70
Temp-84

Equipment:

Weatherking 18x36 Vinyl Liner Inground 25,000 gals
Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP
Hayward Vari-flo Multiport Valve
Hayward Pro-Grid DE3620 DE Filter
Heat Siphon SX5.0HP Heat Pump
Rainbow 320 Inline Feeder

Thanks

Pappy
06-16-2014, 07:05 PM
I don't know much about the SWCGs, so I'll let some one else answer that. How is your pool water being tested? Pool Store, guess strips, oto/phenol red, FAS-DPD?

I can tell you that with a CYA level of 70, you want to keep you chlorine ABOVE 5ppm at ALL times. This explains why. http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

JimK
06-16-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm curious.....

I noticed the Pool Pilot is much more expensive than the Hayward Aqua Rite. Any particular reason you chose the Pool Pilot over the Aqua Rite?

Btw, I have an Aqua Rite and have been happy with it.

To answer your question, the more you oversize the cell, the longer it will last. I use a 40k gal rated cell, the largest Aqua Rite offered at the time, for my 20k gal pool.

Finbar
06-16-2014, 08:47 PM
How is your pool water being tested? Pool Store, guess strips, oto/phenol red, FAS-DPD?

I can tell you that with a CYA level of 70, you want to keep you chlorine ABOVE 5ppm at ALL times. This explains why. http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

Both oto and Fas-Dpd. I have been using one of Ben's PS233 kits for years. I just keep refilling the reagents.

At the start of the season I trickle feed triclor supplemented with bleach until my CYA reaches around 70. After that I maintain chlorine in a 3 to 5ppm range. I've been doing so for years.

I'm curious.....

I noticed the Pool Pilot is much more expensive than the Hayward Aqua Rite. Any particular reason you chose the Pool Pilot over the Aqua Rite?

Btw, I have an Aqua Rite and have been happy with it.

To answer your question, the more you oversize the cell, the longer it will last. I use a 40k gal rated cell, the largest Aqua Rite offered at the time, for my 20k gal pool.

I'm leaning towards the Pool Pilot since the RC-52 is rated for 50,000 gals, which is twice my pool capacity. The largest Aqua Rite cell is rated at 40,000 gals, which is about 1 1/2 my pool capacity. If a 40,000 gal cell would be adequate for my pool then I would have a choice between the two systems. My decision would then be based upon build quality. From what I've been reading it seems the Pool Pilot has fewer complaints. However I'm wondering if fewer people use the Pool Pilot due to the added cost resulting in a fewer number of posted complaints.

JimK
06-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Both oto and Fas-Dpd. I have been using one of Ben's PS233 kits for years. I just keep refilling the reagents.

At the start of the season I trickle feed triclor supplemented with bleach until my CYA reaches around 70. After that I maintain chlorine in a 3 to 5ppm range. I've been doing so for years.

I'm leaning towards the Pool Pilot since the RC-52 is rated for 50,000 gals, which is twice my pool capacity. The largest Aqua Rite cell is rated at 40,000 gals, which is about 1 1/2 my pool capacity. If a 40,000 gal cell would be adequate for my pool then I would have a choice between the two systems. My decision would then be based upon build quality. From what I've been reading it seems the Pool Pilot has fewer complaints. However I'm wondering if fewer people use the Pool Pilot due to the added cost resulting in a fewer number of posted complaints.

I just saw Pool Pilot also offers a CC15 version rated for 67k gal.! I wonder how long that cell would last?

If the price difference between the 40k cell and 50k cell isn't a factor for you, I'd go for the 50k unit.

I have a coworker who uses the same unit I do, but her pool is about 30k gal. We've both owned our pools about 10 years. I'll ask her about how much time she gets from her 40k gal cell and let you know.

Btw, I got 4 seasons out of my first cell, but I didn't know any better and was using it to "super chlorinate" my pool. I learned here that I should only use it maintain CL levels. Doing that I'm on season 7 with the second cell.

Finbar
06-17-2014, 01:39 AM
I just saw Pool Pilot also offers a CC15 version rated for 67k gal.! I wonder how long that cell would last?

If the price difference between the 40k cell and 50k cell isn't a factor for you, I'd go for the 50k unit.

I have a coworker who uses the same unit I do, but her pool is about 30k gal. We've both owned our pools about 10 years. I'll ask her about how much time she gets from her 40k gal cell and let you know.

Btw, I got 4 seasons out of my first cell, but I didn't know any better and was using it to "super chlorinate" my pool. I learned here that I should only use it maintain CL levels. Doing that I'm on season 7 with the second cell.

Thanks for the info. From what I've been reading 7 seasons sounds pretty good. I would be very interested in your co-worker's experience with the unit. Considering my pool is exactly in the middle between yours and hers it should give me a rough idea on how long a 40k cell would last.

How many hours per day and at what percentage do you run your unit? Also, have you had any problems with the Aqua Rite?

Thanks

JimK
06-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the info. From what I've been reading 7 seasons sounds pretty good. I would be very interested in your co-worker's experience with the unit. Considering my pool is exactly in the middle between yours and hers it should give me a rough idea on how long a 40k cell would last.

How many hours per day and at what percentage do you run your unit? Also, have you had any problems with the Aqua Rite?

Thanks

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I keep records of maintenance and repairs. When I get home I'll look it up for you and report back. :)

BigDave
06-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Is your heat pump salt water compatible? It looks like it should be but I found no such statement on the website.

JimK
06-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Thanks

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I keep records of maintenance and repairs. When I get home I'll look it up for you and report back. :)

A bit of info for you:

My coworker said they've replaced the cell once in the past 10 years (31k gal IG vinyl pool). My appologies, but I didn't think to ask her about runtime. She did say they had to replace the display board a couple weeks ago.

I'd have to look at my records, but it seems I'm running mine a little higher this season. It could be my cell is showing it's age and may have to be replaced this season. I'll get more details for you this evening.

Finbar
06-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Is your heat pump salt water compatible? It looks like it should be but I found no such statement on the website.

Yes. It has a titanium heat exchanger with a lifetime guarantee against corrosion. I've had mine since 2003. http://www.heatsiphon.com/2006website/whytitanium/4nolimits.html

A bit of info for you:

My coworker said they've replaced the cell once in the past 10 years (31k gal IG vinyl pool). My appologies, but I didn't think to ask her about runtime. She did say they had to replace the display board a couple weeks ago.
I'd have to look at my records, but it seems I'm running mine a little higher this season. It could be my cell is showing it's age and may have to be replaced this season. I'll get more details for you this evening.

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

JimK
06-17-2014, 08:18 PM
More Aqua Rite info;

Looking at my past records I run the pump about 12-14hrs a day with the SWCG typically set to 50-60%. So far thus season the pump is running 12hrs a day with the SWCG set to 70-75%.

I also found in 2009 the main board was replaced (was still under pro rated warranty).

So since having the pool and Aqua Rite installed in March 2004, the cell has been replaced once and the main board has been replaced once.

I hope this info helps. :)