PDA

View Full Version : Cya

Sunny32504
06-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Is 23 a good number for CYA? My Chlorine is hard to keep around for more than a day if I am lucky. My pool is completely clean and ready for the summer. No more sticks , no more algea --- nothing:) :D :) The pool store took the CYA reading along with everything else and the weather yesterday and today was around 103' and 100'. Maybe this is normal.

Watermom
06-07-2006, 09:16 PM
23 is pretty low actually. We usually say 30-50, but actually most people do best around 40-50. Otherwise, it is often pretty hard to keep chlorine in the pool as you are finding.

Sunny32504
06-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Iv'e never had to buy a product to raise CYA. Do 3" tablets contain it. What is the name of the product so I can go to the pool store and just go in grab , pay and run for the hills.:eek:

Watermom
06-07-2006, 09:35 PM
You can just use some triclor tabs for awhile. They contain cya in them. You can use them for awhile, but monitor your cya level. When you get around 40, you should then switch to just using bleach. They are also very acidic, so if you have low ph, you might not want to use them. Another option is to just buy some cya. It is sometimes called stabilizer or conditioner. Check the ingredient label, and if it says cyanuric acid or isocyanuric acid, that is the right stuff. You can usually find it at Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot or at a pool store.

ScottS
06-07-2006, 09:38 PM
3" Tri-Clor tabs do add CYA.

If you need to add CYA you are looking for what is often labeled as "Stabalizer" which is cyanuric acid. For example at WalMart HTH sells this in the same section with pH up, pH down, pH sideways (haha <--- just kidding not sideways), Alk up, etc. It is in the same looking container.

Sunny32504
06-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Okay I will try tablets until I can go get some stabalizer