PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with an Intex pool

Mom2ari
06-12-2014, 11:15 AM
We just bought a 10' x 30" intex easy set pool. I have not set it up yet as we may or may not be going out of town for 3-5 days next week. I am guessing it would be best to wait until we get back to start setting it up right?

I have read the 7 day start up plan (which seems easier, but I feel like I have read conflicting messages as to whether or not it is ok to use with a pool as small as mine) and also the kiddie pool care guide on poolsolutions.com

I have ordered the polyquat, and dichlor which should be arriving today and I have bleach, borax and the 6way test kit on hand.

The pool solutions page says I should use 3 cups of bleach (it says 5.25% active, but all I could find was 8%) 1.8 tsp dichlor, 5.6 Tsp borax, and .8 Tsp polyquat.

Questions:
1) Can I round these to common measuring spoon values if so what do you reccomend?, or I have a kitchen scale that I could use to get weight if that is easier.

2) Does the bleach dose change at all since it is a higher active content?

3) How often should I be adding each of these chemicals? (Sorry, as a total newbie to pool care I feel like I need someone to hold me hand or I am fairly certain I will screw it up!)

4) Do I need to have my kids wait until the end of the seven days to swim or is that not necessary? (Sorry if that is silly to ask, but I haven't seen it asked before and I know my kids will want to get in as soon as they can)

Thanks for having such a comprehensive site, it is nice to have a place to ask questions!

Watermom
06-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Sounds like you have been doing your homework and learning about pool care!

Why don't you just use the Super Simple Startup Recipe and use 1/4 cup doses for your pool. That would be the easiest thing to do. It tells you how much to add and when to add it. Since you have dichlor, you'll want to start out using that instead of bleach to begin building up your CYA level. After using the dichlor for a week or so, you can test your CYA. Continue using dichlor until your CYA is at about 50ppm. After that, switch to using bleach for your chlorine so your CYA won't get too high.

That Pool Solutions page needs some updating. At the time it was written, the bleach sold was mostly 5.25% concentration. Now, most places only sell 8.25% bleach.

Of course the kids can swim during the initial week! It would be torture to have a new pool and have your kids only get to look at it! ;)

Glad you found us. We are happy to help. Feel free to ask all the questions you need to!

And, yes, I would wait until you get back from your travels before starting this.

Mom2ari
06-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Thank you for the quick response! The simple start up plan looks much easier, but I wasn't sure since my pool is so small. I am glad to read that I can start with that!

Once I switch to bleach, do I need to periodically add dichlor?

Watermom
06-12-2014, 12:19 PM
No. Once your CYA level is where you wanted, it should stay there through the summer assuming you don't have any big algae blooms. So, once you switch to bleach, you should no longer use dichlor nor any trichlor pucks. They add CYA, too.

Good luck. Let us know if you have further questions. It is fun having a pool!

PoolDoc
06-14-2014, 05:21 PM
. . . membership upgraded.

+ If you haven't already opened the box, and can still return the pool, you may want this one instead:
12 x 30 Intex for $120 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BVKO0E/scouscho-20/) @ Amazon
The frame pools are MUCH more durable than the doughnuts, which often succumb to cat or squirrel claws, or bird beaks.

+ Follow the SSR, like WaterMom suggested.

Mom2ari
06-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Opened the pool and set it up today since we are no longer planning to leave at all next week. I am confused about what I am supposed to be doing though. So this is what we did so far...

In the 1000 gallon 10' x 30" pool we filled with water. When it was about half way full we added 1/2 cup bleach. Tonight, we added 1/8 cup of the kem-tech dichlor, and 1/8 cup of polyquat. I did not check any levels of anything so far, we were going to see where we are at in the morning.

Does this sound right? I got confused as to what the dosage should be since we already have the dichlor on hand. I wasn't sure how to do the simple start up while also trying to build the cya.

Also, I just realized it said to put in the borax with the dichlor, which we forgot about.

Mom2ari
06-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Also, I ordered an upgraded filter. I am wondering if I need more than one, or if I can just pop it out to clean it and pop it back in. How long should the pump be running each day, or is it best to just let it run all the time?

PoolDoc
06-15-2014, 11:53 AM
It's best to have at least 2; it's easiest to clean them properly if they can soak: http://pool9.net/cart-clean/

BigDave
06-15-2014, 12:25 PM
... In the 1000 gallon 10' x 30" pool we filled with water. When it was about half way full we added 1/2 cup bleach. Tonight, we added 1/8 cup of the kem-tech dichlor, and 1/8 cup of polyquat. Good! I did not check any levels of anything so far, we were going to see where we are at in the morning. Don't measure CYA now - there's too little to measure - How are your numbers?

Does this sound right? Yes! I got confused as to what the dosage should be since we already have the dichlor on hand. 1/8 Cup sounds pretty good. I wasn't sure how to do the simple start up while also trying to build the cya. Follow the Intex Pool Care Plan section of the Super Simple Recipe.

Also, I just realized it said to put in the borax with the dichlor, which we forgot about. The Borax is there to counter the acidity of the dichlor, if the pH is above 7.5, skip a dose.

Don't even bother to measure CYA until you've used a pound of dichlor. After a pound, there will be about 60ppm CYA. Measure it to verify then start chlorinating with bleach.