PDA

View Full Version : no chlorine after repeated doses

tanyat
06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
My water is balanced but my chlorine is locked up. I have added 8 bags of shock within 6 hours. The pool store told me to keep checking it every 4 hours adding chlorine as needed. I have always used the pool store to balance my water.. TIA

Watermom
06-11-2014, 08:56 PM
We are going to need some good numbers and some more info to be able to help.

1. What kind of pool is it? What is the volume?
2. What size pump and what kind and size of filter?
3. Exactly what all have you added to the pool, meaning ingredients and not just product names like 'shock.'
4. What does the water look like?
5. Do you have a drops-based test kit? If so, what kind? Post current numbers.

If you don't have a good drops-based test kit:
The test kit that we think is by far the best is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon: http://pool9.net/tk/

But, in the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (no test strips!) and get that. If they don't, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) instead. Use it to test and then post your numbers. Also while you are at WallyWorld, get several jugs of their generic 8.25% bleach and a couple of boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle).

Repost with requested info and then someone here can try and help you.

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

tanyat
06-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks...

I have an above ground pool 27'

A hayward 1 1/2 hp pump.. I have no idea on filter. I have a sand filter..
my pump went out so it wasnt rinning for 2 mths and was thick green. I used plain bleach (per another pool stores recommendation. Then used phosfloc. Used baking soda. Quick shock not sure of brand. The pool is crystal clear but I was told at the pool store it was not holding its chlorine as it was locked up. I have since added 8 bags of quick shock and severest algae treatment which is copper based. I live on farm land and fertilizer has been being spread for the past month.

I do not have those type od testing kits. The nearest store is a walmart but they have been out of strips and testing kits for the past 2 days so as soon as they get that in I will go get one.

PoolDoc
06-14-2014, 03:20 PM
1. Stop adding copper and mystery shock.

2. Start dosing with 1 gallon of PLAIN 8% Walmart bleach each evening, to keep your pool from turning green, again.

3. Get a cheap OTO / phenol red drops kit -- NOT STRIPS!! -- at Walmart, while you are there. Report results as soon as you can.

4. Order the K2006, as W-M told you.

There are several reasons why your chlorine could be 'missing', none of which is "chlorine lock". "Chlorine lock" is just a pool store's way of saying, "We have no idea what's going on, but don't want to say that!".

The most likely problems relate to stabilizer (CYA), but we can't tell till you get the K2006. Strips are never very good, but the CYA test capability of strips is HORRIBLY BAD.

If you add the bleach daily, it's unlikely your pool will get messed up before you an get the K2006. Do report pH levels. Low pH, in particular, can damage your pool. If you like, you can pick up 4 boxes of 20 Mule Team borax (NOT: Boraxo, a soap!) in Walmart's detergent section. You can use it to raise the pH, without complicating things . . . and it will keep forever if you don't need it right now.