PDA

View Full Version : hello all. New user

TC213
06-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Just wanted to say Hi and thanks. Been on here reading for the past few days as I battle my pool problems. Still dealing with cloudy water but after neglecting my pool last year and doing a half hearted closing this past winter it doesn't surprise me to be dealing with the algae and cloudiness. What has surprised me is how little I actually new. I'm taking the BBB approach. Unfortunately I started treating my pool before I had the good test kit. Which I received today via UPS. I then went and check my FC and it is at 23! MY other test kit never read above 5PPM!! So now I hold my breath and wait for it to come down and hope it doesn't bleach my liner. Should I wait to test the other things until my FC comes down? Will it skew the other readings ? I did test PH and it read 7.4 , Again thanks for all the great info and any help is always appreciated.

TC213
06-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Ok so first set of numbers with new test kit. Pool is a IG vinyl liner. 16x32-5.5avg depth. Coming up with 21100 gallons. Can see the bottom at the deep end but definitely not crystal clear. FC was 23 about 36 hours ago. We had two cloudy days. There is still a slight tinge of green on the walls. Been brushing daily. Thoughts ??

FC 15
CYA 60
CC .5
CH 70
TA 140
PH 7.2

Also just added more Borax tonight to raise PH to 7.6 according to pool calculator.

Watermom
06-11-2014, 08:51 PM
What does the water look like? With a CYA of 60ppm, your shock level would be 20ppm. http://pool9.net/cl-cya/ Go ahead and take it back up there. Aim to keep it that high until:
-- You lose no more than 1ppm of chlorine from sundown to within an hour of sunrise the next morning AND
-- You have a CC reading no higher than 0.5.

Keep brushing the pool while the chlorine is high. Run your pump 24/7 while you are working to clear this.

Please make a signature telling us the size of pump, type and size of filter, type of pool, volume and the fact that you have a K2006. You can click on the tab in my signature below to do so.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the subscription, by the way!

TC213
06-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Ok added 2 gals of bleach tonight. Edited my Sig. Does it have to be approved before it shows ? Filter has been running 24/7 the last 2 weeks. I can say that I brushed the pool yesterday and for the first time it didn't get really cloudy again after. Has to be a good sign? Thanks for the help.

Watermom
06-11-2014, 09:27 PM
You are welcome. Glad it is getting better. Are you watching the pressure on your filter and backwashing as needed?

(Thanks for making a signature. That helps us a lot when we are answering posts to not have to continuously scroll back and forth through a thread looking for info.)

TC213
06-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Just backwashed tonight. I read that excessive backwashing can give a cloudy pool as well ? It's getting better but usually doesn't take this long. Anything else I should be doing ?

Watermom
06-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Backwash when you have an 8-10psi rise over your clean filter pressure or when there is a significant decrease in flow from the returns. Backwashing should not cause cloudiness. If it does, you have a problem with your filter.

Have you maintained the high chlorine levels consistently? For how long? Is there improvement in the cloudiness every day? Have you added anything other than bleach or borax?