PDA

View Full Version : First Timer

Pinman24
03-31-2006, 05:23 PM
We finished our new IG, 11,000 gallon, plaster pool and spa with a SWG, in September 2005. The first thing I did was fire the pool man that came with it. So I have been taking on the job myself, at the beginning I seeked help from our local Leslie's pool store and realized at best I was getting inconsistent service when testing water samples. I have since found this site via howibuiltmypool site, ordered Ben's kit(still waiting for it to arrive) and ready to get some advice. My test #'s are as follows:

FC-3.0 TC-3.0 PH-7.2 TA-50 CA-350 CYA-25

My TA is low so I added 2 Lbs. of Baking soda and will re test tommorow. I am looking to get this in the 80 - 120 range.

That is the only adjustment I have made since this testing.

I feel the CYA is slightly low, Is it and What is the best way to increase this? Triclor tablets?

I feel the CA level are too high, I would like to see these numbers in the 180 - 220 range. I have lowered the PH and started heavy areration with our waterfalls and spa jets. Do I want to add Leslie's stain and scale enhancer? We did get some scaling on our cement rock sides, our pool as no tiles.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Paul

Pinman24
03-31-2006, 10:39 PM
What, no comments or suggestions?

CarlD
04-01-2006, 12:24 AM
We finished our new IG, 11,000 gallon, plaster pool and spa with a SWG..
My test #'s are as follows:

FC-3.0
TC-3.0
PH-7.2
TA-50
CA-350
CYA-25

My TA is low so I added 2 Lbs. of Baking soda and will re test tommorow. I am looking to get this in the 80 - 120 range.

That is the only adjustment I have made since this testing.
It's a good one. I prefer 100-125--but no higher with your pool.

I feel the CYA is slightly low, Is it and What is the best way to increase this? Triclor tablets? It is low. I like to see 30-50--I normally prefer 30, but sometimes 40 or 50 is better. Especially if you have LOTS of direct sun. With your low pH do NOT, NOT, NOT use Tri-chlor tabs--they will lower it still further. You can get pure CYA. Add no more than 1/4 of what they recommend--It's easy to add more but difficult to get it out.

I feel the CA level are too high, I would like to see these numbers in the 180 - 220 range.

350 is still well within recommended range for your pool. 400 is the highest you should go before dilutiing it down. I wouldn't mess with it. Suggested range is 200-400 for your pool.

I have lowered the PH and started heavy areration with our waterfalls and spa jets.

WHY, pray tell! Your T/A was too low you had to add to it. Why lower it more?? You are doing absolutely the wrong thing here.

Do I want to add Leslie's stain and scale enhancer? We did get some scaling on our cement rock sides, our pool as no tiles.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Paul

Can't help you on the last. Sorry. I just don't know.

SJohnson
04-01-2006, 02:29 AM
I think you're thinking that aeration lowers your calcium levels, when it actually lowers your Alkalinity. Just thought I'd add that in here. Otherwise, you're right where you need to be. CYA level is low, SWC manufacturers advise the higher range, 50-80, or thereabouts. I think I read somewhere that CYA added through Triclor tabs is inferior to straight cyanuric acid . . . No need for those stinking Triclor tabs anyway, they'll just affect your pH anyway. All in all, you're looking pretty darn good!!

SJohnson

Pinman24
04-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. My thinking on the Aeration with lowered PH was from the fact we are getting scaling on the perimeter of the pool. I think I realize now that was from letting the PH get too high at one point. (correct?)

I will contniue to raise my TA with Baking soda as needed. I will return the triclor tablets and get pure CYA stablizer.

Thanks for the comments.

Paul

CarlD
04-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Aeration raises pH without raising Total Alkalinity, unlike other means of raising pH. That is its purpose.

Why would the CYA in Tri-Chlor be "inferior" to straight CYA? CYA is CYA. I have no problem with using Tri-chlor to raise CYA, when at the same time pH is high, because Tri-chlor will lower pH as well.

SJohnson
04-01-2006, 07:49 PM
I swear I read that somewhere . . . realizing it doesn't make any sense and that cya should be cya, whatever the source. I'm sure I read that on this board, back before the meltdown . . . I'm sure it was just someone's opinion . . . like everything else . . .

SJohnson.

Watermom
04-04-2006, 11:23 PM
I agree with CarlD. Just add a little straight cya and don't fool with the trichlor. The good part of just adding cya is that after a week or two of tweaking it, you will seldom need to test the cya level again - maybe only a time or two during the entire swim season. When using trichlor, you have to continually be checking the cya level because it will quickly climb and without realizing it, your level will be too high. I always just add the cya and forget about it. Too easy. Easy is good!

Watermom