PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help From the Experts

jrv331
06-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Im working on a pool that was converted from bromine to chlorine. At opening I added 2 1/2 gallons of bleach to get to 12ppm(15k ag pool).The water is crystal clear, I can smell chlorine in the water but dont know if its normal or not, I know that every time I add chlorine it reactivates my used bromine and I need to know how to test the chlorine level? It continually shows above 10ppm even though I haven't added any bleach for 3 days.

Here are the numbers so far:

TC?
CYA 0
ALK 120
Water 71 degrees
No one in the pool since opening
pump running 24/7

Thanks
John

aylad
06-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I know very little about Bromine, except from Ben's posts that once you have a Bromine pool it is very, very difficult to convert it to chlorine. I'll alert him to your post and see if he can give you some useable info.

Janet

PoolDoc
06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Im working on a pool that was converted from bromine to chlorine. At opening I added 2 1/2 gallons of bleach to get to 12ppm(15k ag pool).The water is crystal clear, I can smell chlorine in the water but dont know if its normal or not, I know that every time I add chlorine it reactivates my used bromine and I need to know how to test the chlorine level? It continually shows above 10ppm even though I haven't added any bleach for 3 days.

The easy way to run a bromine pool, is simply to pretend it's chlorine. Because of the relationship between chlorine and bromine, if you use your chlorine test to maintain adequate 'chlorine' levels, your actual bromine levels will be OK.

But, if it's an outdoor pool, and you've had sun on the pool, the bromine is probably gone, and the pool is stabilized. Check the stabilizer level. Without stabilizer, or with stabilizer AND bromine, you'd probably have lost that chlorine / bromine already.

Ben