PDA

View Full Version : Using Test Kit on Aquarium?

Simmons99
06-07-2006, 12:14 PM
I figured I would order my test kit while the pool is under construction to make sure that I had it if the pool ever gets done:( . So I understand how to use it - I was going to use it to test my aquarium (freshwater) - it should work for PH and hardness right?

I have been using the test strips on the aquarium and recently I have gotten a low PH reading (really wierd, b/c normally I have to lower the PH), but it still tests the tap water correctly- so I was going to buy a drops kit to verify the readings, but figured I could save the money by purchasing Ben's kit and using if for that as well.

falken
06-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I don't have bens kit yet (on the way) but I think he is using the taylor ph color chart, and it will only register as low as 7.0 and you may need reading to go down to 6.0 depending on what type of fish and your target ph.

So, the test would be just as accurate on your aquarium water, but may not have the range you need.

waterbear
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I have kept aquariums for about42 years now (salt water for about 30!) some of the tests are exactly the same...CH, ALK, chlorine testing of fill water (to reach breakpoint in your fill water to break up chloramines the water companies put in before you kill the chlorine with sodium thiosulfate). The Phenol Red pH indicator is fine for salt water but for fresh you might need either bromothymol blue or clorophenol red, depends on what pH range you need to test for. Obviously, the CYA test is of no use. You still need other tests for an aquarium...ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are basic and you might need copper if you treat with it; and phosphate, boron, magnesium, strontium, and a few others for a reef aquarium. Everything you have read or will read about test strips on here for pools goes triple for aquariums....don't trust the life of your livestock to them!
BTW, I use an aqaurium test kit to test my pool for phosphates and it is more accurate than the phosphate test kit at the pool store I work at! (It uses a comparator block instead of a paper chart)

Simmons99
06-09-2006, 10:30 AM
waterbear-

thanks for the info - usually the aquarium is hard to keep below 7.8 and the test strips are telling me it is 6.8 - but the fill water (tap) the strips are testing at 7.8 still - so wierd. Anyway - my target PH is 7.2-7.8; so I guess I can use Ben's kit to test the PH and ALK.