PDA

View Full Version : Pool very dirty day after use.

Scrapple
06-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Used the pool for the first time yesterday. Put in my cholrine (dichlor) last night and left the filter run. Came out today and there was dirt or whatever all over the bottom of the pool. If this is going to happen every time we use it, I'm tearing it down. This vacuum and refill is starting to get really really expensive on the water and electric bill.

Chlorine: 2.6
pH: 7.4

Chlorine is down a touch from yesterday but I'm still confused.

There has to be a better way.

Thanks.

Watermom
06-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Chlorine levels don't stay consistent; it is normal for the level to drop during the day especially when there are swimmers. If your CYA level is low, it also makes it more difficult to keep chlorine in the pool.

Why are you needing to refill so often? Are you backwashing after every time you vacuum or are you vacuuming to waste?

Why so much dirt? Lots of kids going in and out of the pool? It is impossible to keep an outdoor pool pristine --- trust me. I try! ;)

Scrapple
06-08-2014, 07:50 PM
I was always told to vacuum to waste. Is there a better way? Remember, I've been given a lot of bad information. That is why I came here :D

Watermom
06-08-2014, 08:02 PM
What kind of filter do you have? No need to vacuum to waste. Just vacuum to your filter.

Scrapple
06-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Hayward sand filter, 18", I think.

Watermom
06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Just vacuum to your filter. You won't need to backwash it every time either. Just watch your pressure. When it rises 8-10psi over your clean filter pressure, then backwash. (Or if you notice a big drop in the flow at the return.)

The only time someone might vacuum to waste is if they are picking up piles of algae or something like that.

(Go ahead and edit your signature to add your filter info. You can do so by clicking on the link in my signature above.)

BigDave
06-11-2014, 08:06 AM
One additional suggestion: I have a foot bath that I place in front of the ladder. It keeps alot of grass and dirt out of the pool. I know because it's always filthy when I dump it.

Scrapple
06-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes. We will be using the foot bath next time.