PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water

gtwarner
06-07-2014, 01:19 PM
I have pH a little low. chlorine is above 10ppm. cya was ok before pouring in bleach. water has been light bluish and cloudy for 2 or 3 weeks. I finally got chlorine to stay up more than a day. Have vacuumed and flocked and vacuumed (blindly). Water still not clear. Do I need Fiber clear. Clarifier didn't work. Floc worked some. Sand only 2 yrs old. I have A 24x4 round above ground pool. Hayward power-Flo matrix pump, S180T sand filter. Have owned this system for 9 years. Never had cloudy water. New liner added 2 years ago. I have used strips for years. i will get a Taylor kit as soon as wallet bounces back from so many wasted pool store chemicals. have used almost a box of borax and 12 pounds of backing soda to get ph back up. it was way high while trying to get cya an chlorine up. them pH down dropped it too much. I think i had bacteria eating the cya as I read in a post here. Do I need more floc? Clarifier? I did also add metal eliminator when water was light green. I thought algeacide put too much copper in? I am gonna lose my wife or my sanity soon. :(

Watermom
06-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I think you need to quit adding so much stuff to the water! No more floc, clarifier, metal eliminator, Fiber Clear or anything else except bleach and maybe Borax if your pH is still low.

Several questions that I have:

--What is the source of your fill water?
--Do you have metals in the water?
--Have you used algaecide and if so, what type?

If you can't spring for a Taylor K2006 kit right now, can you at least go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way kit (NOT the 6-Way test strips). If they don't, at least pick up an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops). We can't really give any helpful advise without some good numbers from a drops-based kit.

Repost and someone here will try and help you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

gtwarner
06-08-2014, 04:31 PM
CL Has been over 6 by OTO test all day. Showed over 10 on strips since Friday eve. still cloudy. :(

Maybe the Baking soda?

gtwarner
06-09-2014, 08:07 PM
3 Days now with chlorine above 10ppm. alk shows ok. stabilizer ok. with drops test well over 5ppm for chlorine. Its still blueish color. can see down maybe a foot till objects get fuzzy then disappear.

Watermom
06-09-2014, 09:29 PM
If you can supply answers to some of the questions in my post above, it might help someone here have some better advice for you and help you figure out how to clear this pool up. :)

gtwarner
06-09-2014, 10:18 PM
a post didn't show up. hmmm? oh well, I have city water. I dont know if i have metals in it. I did put several shocks in that had algaecide. I think they used copper in the shock.

Watermom
06-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Are you able to get one of the kits from Walmart that I mentioned above? We really need some good numbers to be able to help.

PoolDoc
06-10-2014, 05:58 PM
It sounds like the the 'green' is gone, but the pool is remaining cloudy?

A very common cause of this problem is the oversized pump + undersized filter combination typical of AG pool packages. What happens is that the big pump forces the dirt (dead algae) THROUGH the little filter, AND also washes the sand out during backwashes.

Do the "DE-test" on your filter to make sure it's actually working OK. If it is continued use of DE in a sand filter will help capture and filter out the fine particles causing the cloudiness . . . at the price of more frequent backwashing. http://pool9.net/de-test/