PDA

View Full Version : Free Chlorine Level, too high?

mommak
06-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Tested my chlorine and pH level, using the 10ml testing my FC was 10, pH is 7.6.
Is this too high of a chlorine level? If so, how do I lower it?

Watermom
06-07-2014, 10:10 AM
The pH test in the Taylor K2006 kit is accurate with chlorine levels up to 10ppm, so your reading is fine.

Whether or not your chlorine level is too high at 10ppm depends on what your CYA reading is. But, even if it is too high, there is really no way to lower it. Have a look at the Best Guess chart in my signature. Find your CYA level in the chart and see what the recommended range is for your chlorine. Or, look here (same chart): http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

By the way, will you please update your signature to add the fact that you have a K2006 kit? You can do so by clicking on the link in my signature below or by going here: http://pool9.net/edit-sig/ Thanks!

mommak
06-07-2014, 10:21 AM
As of now my CYA is still less than 30. My test solution was barely cloudy. I could still see the black dot in the bottom of my test kit.
And yes, I have the k-2006 test kit. This is what I have been using.

Watermom
06-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Ok. So, even though a chlorine reading of 10ppm is a little high for a pool with CYA less than 30ppm, (unless you are shocking the pool), it will come down on its own. Low CYA pools don't hang on to chlorine very long on hot sunny days.

Nothing to worry about. If you swim today while the chlorine is at 10ppm, just wear an old swimsuit. It won't hurt you at all.

mommak
06-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Thank you Watermom. My 9 year old is so excited to get in the pool. Too cold for me, it's only 69 degrees. We placed the solar cover on last night and it kept the temperature from last nights reading. Hubby is hooking up the solar panel as I type.

Watermom
06-07-2014, 12:43 PM
69 is way too cold for me, too! You'll be surprised how fast the solar panel will warm the pool up especially with also using the cover. Have fun!

(Thanks for editing your sig.)