PDA

View Full Version : Converting Baquacil to Chlorine

tgilbert
06-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I have been fighting the evils of cloudy water in a Baquacil pool (24 ft. abg - 14,400 ga.) for three years and I have finally given in to attempting the conversion to a proven Chlorine pool.

I discovered this forum a couple of days ago and discovered that I am far from alone in the Baquacil woes. Reading through the post I decided that the conversion didn't look that difficult...but that I would have to be patient and wait for the water to slowly clear.

I just want to be sure that I am doing things right and in the right order. Yesterday I started adding 6% Bleach to the pool. The pool was a cloudy (gray/white) color when I began. Upon addition of the first 1.5 gallons of bleach the water did turn a dull rust or orange color and then slowly returned to the gray/white color. I have since added the same 1.5 gallon quantities twice about 12 hours in between.

How long should I expect it to take, or how may doses of bleach, before I see the water clearing? I there anything else that I should be adding to the water in the meantime that might aid the conversion?

Poconos
06-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I moved you thread to the Baquacil forum where it will get more attention. You are on the right track. Keep adding bleach and keep the FC up to 15 I believe. You'll have to check several times a day as the chlorine will get eaten up. You didn't mention what kind of filter you have. If sand you'll have to replace the sand when the conversion is complete. Other filters??? I have no idea what to do. Someone else can chime in here.
Good Luck.
Al

tgilbert
06-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. It is a sand filter and I saw numerous entries saying to change the sand but to wait until the conversion is complete. I've already purchased the sand and I am waiting for the water to clear. Any ideas how much bleach I may go through? Just curious as to whether I should go ahead and buy more.

Poconos
06-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Sorry, have no idea how much bleach you'll use. You may check a pool store for higher concentratons that they sell in refillable 5 or 10 gal containers. Trick is to keep the chlorine levels high and not let it drop.
Al

prh129
06-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Look for any post from mwsmith2 and you will find a BleachCalc program in his signature that you can use to figure out how much bleach you will need to raise your chlorine level. This will at least give you a ballpark estimate for how much bleach you will be using in a day. From other posts is looks like the process will take at least several days. You will also need a test kit (drops-based preferred) so that you will know your FC level. Once you put your pool info (size etc) into the program, it will tell you how much bleach is needed to raise the raise by a certain amount.

Good luck!

Peter

tgilbert
06-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks.....I downloaded the Bleach Calculator and it tells me that I need a little less than 4 gallons. Is the a "per day" estimate?

aylad
06-07-2006, 03:34 PM
For the first few days, it's a "per addition" estimate (you really need to test and add more 2-3 times daily until you can start holding a chlorine residual), but after your pool starts holding chlorine, the demand will decrease.

Janet

tgilbert
06-08-2006, 07:07 AM
At what point is it safe (recommended) to start adding Chlorine tabs to the pool?

I'm just starting Day 3 of the conversion and there is less reaction or color change at the addition of bleach to the pool but the color is still a dull rust -orange. I just checked the reading and I'm getting:

Total Hardness 150
Total Chlorine .05
FC .05
pH 7.0
Alkalinity 120
CYA 20

This is before the addition of bleach this morning. Looks like I'm off to Walmart for more bleach.

Watermom
06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Just use bleach during the conversion. And then even after, you can just use bleach for your source of chlorine and not even use the pucks if you want. That is what many of us do, me included. Bleach works well and doesn't add a bunch of unwanted stuff to the water.

Keep an eye on your ph. Don't want it to drop below 7.0 or your water becomes acidic and can damage your pool.

During your conversion, the more often you test your water and add more bleach to get back to shock levels, the faster your conversion will go.

tgilbert
06-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Ideally...what ppm should I try to maintain?

Watermom
06-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Try to keep your chlorine level at 15 ppm.

tgilbert
06-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Just curious....is it to my advantage to add a chlorine tab to the skimmer basket to help maintain the chlorine level during conversion?

Watermom
06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I would just stick with bleach only during the conversion.

tgilbert
06-08-2006, 06:44 PM
OK...thanks! I think I'm close to turning the corner on the Baquacil battle. Although the water is still cloudy and slightly dull rust in color...it no longer changes color when bleach is added. It also seems to be holding FC level better since the mid-day dose.

It would be nice to have a clear pool over the weekend.

tgilbert
06-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Just curious, again! Right now my water color and clarity resembles an amusement part water ride. When it begins to clear, is it a slow process or an "overnight" type process? I'm into day 3 of the conversion. I'm trying to keep the chlorine level and FC level around 15 ppm. But it can change quickly when it changes.

KWBourn
06-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Just keep the clorine levels up till you water clears and you will be happy with your desicion ti convert. I had the same problems with baquacil. When I converted I did not have a good kit and it took longer than it should have but it was worth it. I got the kit (ps223) and a lot of help form people here and I have a great pool with little to no problems for 3 years now.

eyesfinallyopened
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
tgilbert,
I've read your thread and wondered if you got the results you wanted.

--Deborah

tgilbert
06-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Yes I did. I'm just getting around to posting this reply...but my conversion from Baquacil to Chlorine completed in 7 days with the result being a crystal clear pool. I probably could have done it quicker but I didn't want to push it. I added 2 gal. of bleach - 3 times a day for 7 days and the pool was clear. I have since washed the filter and replaced the sand. The pool is now in maintenance mode at a fraction of the cost of Baquasil.

eyesfinallyopened
06-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Glad to hear it. --Deborah

LynnR
06-18-2006, 10:49 PM
I too am tired of the cost and battle of a Baquacil pool.We are wanting to convert and I have read these posts but am still kinda lost.Our water level is low and we are trying to decide to change or not.If we do not of course we will have to add water then remove the chlorine(pain in the butt).The Baquacil levels are extremely low so I really don't know where to start.Do I need to get a shock that goes with the chlorine stuff or just use bleach? I am sorry that I am so lost but I need your help.Hope I didn't make this too confusing .Thank you

kalan
06-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi, Ahhhh I remember those days staring at my cloudy pool after spending hundreds of dollars on baquicil products that did nothing but empty my wallet!! My suggestion, DO NOT FEAR IT. CONVERT NOW. Thing you will need: a test kit. allow me to repeat A test kit. The best one is sold here but there are some problems with shipping. Maybe those are cleared up now??? if you decide to convert with out Bens test kit it is still no problem. Just get one that tests chlorine and ph. Download the calculator so you know how much bleach to add. Oh yeah you will need chlorine. bleach=chlorine. you do not need anything else. No shock no monoperwhatever no algecide none of that stuff. Just get bleach or chlorine or whatever you want to call it. it can be pool sanitizer from the hardware at 10% concentration or clorox at 5.25% or wherever you find it cheapest. Sodium hydroxide is what the ingredients will list.
Now add enough chlorine to have 15 ppm in your pool. The pool will not like this and will show its displeasure by turning a very disturbing color. Do not fear continue adding chlorine up to 15 ppm as often as your test tells you to and in about 1 week or less your water will clear and all will be good. You will have to backwash your filter acouple of times a day at first to keep the water flowing. Let me know what type of filter you have. I am sure there will be more ???? so ask away.
Ken

LynnR
06-19-2006, 01:48 PM
ok so I poured bleach in my pool and it turned orange.Already it is tuning a green shade.Is this a good thing or have I messed up bad? Guess I will have to keep checking.I got a kit at Wal Mart until I can get a better one.It only goes to 5ppm but the color was bright orange.Am I on the right track do you think?:confused:

SLS
06-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Your on the right track. When you add bleach the first couple of times it really reacts to the baquacrap by changing to all kinds of colors. You just need to keep adding chlorine to keep it up between 12-15 ppm. If you have a vinyl liner I wouldn't go over 15 ppm or you may bleach your liner. You really need a good test kit to measure higher chlorine levels. Read the other posts in this section and you will run across how to dilute your pool water to test your chlorine level with the kit you have. I just don't know how accurate it will be.

Four years ago I was at this point and I have never regretted changing. Best of luck on your mission!! You will have nice clear water before you know it!!!