PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Pool after tons of chemicals.

bikerdude
06-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Started with pea soup, LMAO now we are at an aqua color with very cloudy water!! I have spent 500$ in pool store chemicals and numerous of there so called tests. I realize my filter system is not the best ( single cartridge) but some one please tell me how to get her cleared up.

BROKE, HOT, AND SLEEPLESS IN VA.

Watermom
06-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

We'll need some additional info to be able to help.

1. What kind of pool is it?
2. What size pump do you have?
3. Exactly what all have you added to the pool, meaning ingredients and not just product names like 'shock.'
4. Do you have a drops-based test kit? If so, what kind? Post current numbers.

The test kit that we think is by far the best is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon: http://pool9.net/tk/

But, in the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (no test strips!) and get that. If they don't, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) instead. Use it to test and then post your numbers. Also while you are at WallyWorld, get several jugs of their generic 8.25% bleach and a couple of boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle).

Repost with requested info and then someone here can try and help you.

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it in a browser window after you log out.

bikerdude
06-06-2014, 08:19 AM
The pool is an above ground 21,000 gallon capacity. It is a Pentaire single cartridge filter unit. Started with algaecide , soda ash, tons of leslies pool shock , conditioner, flock, phosfree, and on and on. I just started using regular bleach 4gallons on sunday and for the first time I have a reading which is very high. My ph was low so added Borax and it is about 6.8 . My alkalinity is very high 240. Cyanuric acid is 0. I have been using test strips.

Watermom
06-06-2014, 04:47 PM
We really need some numbers taken with a drops-based kit. Refer back to the previous post I wrote for some suggestions about kits.

You need to bring your pH up. If it is reading 6.8, it could be much lower than that since that is the lowest reading that the scale will show. Any reading below 7.0 is acidic and can damage your pool. Continue adding Borax and get that pH above 7.0 ASAP.

If you have added conditioner, then you have some CYA in the pool. I don't know what ingredient is in Leslie's pool shock. It could be cal-hypo or it could be Dichlor which also adds CYA.

Keep adding bleach, get the pH up, get a kit. And, then we'll go from there. :)

PoolDoc
06-08-2014, 05:56 PM
. . . membership upgraded.

Did you make any headway with your pool?