PDA

View Full Version : Dead possoms in skimmer basket need help please

dansdad
06-02-2014, 02:41 PM
I have a good chlorine reading of 2.0 but I found 2 dead possoms in my skimmer basket about 2 days apart. They weren't in the water that long as they weren't decomposed. My question is how much should I raise my chlorine to offset the contamination? We are not swimming yet so waiting time is not important. I can go way high if that's whats needed. BTW how do you stop those critters from getting in? They are just babies yet. Seems like when I added conditioner they came around. I know I know has nothing to do with it just thought I would throw that in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave G

Watermom
06-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!!!!

If it were my pool, I'd shock the pool and hold the chlorine high for several days! Mostly to get rid of the 'ick factor' but it certainly won't hurt anything. I don't know what your CYA reading is but a chlorine reading of 2ppm isn't gonna do it for me!

Don't know how to stop them from getting in.

Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!

dansdad
06-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Ok Watermom my cya is 40. have cal-hypo and di-chloro shock. Is one bag enough and which one? BTW there is an Opossum website to tell me all about opossums (like I care). She suggested I tie a towel by the skimmer so they can get out, but she said they are in love with cat food and we have a lady who lives near here who feeds her cats outdoors FOR JOY! Thanks Watermom

dansdad
06-03-2014, 12:55 PM
I contacted my pool store and they said because they are so filthy it should take 3 cases of chlorine

BigDave
06-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Sounds like they want to sell 3 cases of chlorine.

I know Watermom was fighting back waves of retch when she (heroically) answered you before. Bring the pool to shock level and keep it there a couple days to clear out the Heebie Geebies.

dansdad
06-03-2014, 02:01 PM
That's what I thought, If anyone knows where Watermom lives please tell her I didn't plan on making her sick ;) Hope shes better today and BTW I had to fish them out How do I make a yeech on the keyboard? Thanks much

Watermom
06-03-2014, 02:47 PM
btw i had to fish them out.
ewww!! :eek:S-):eek:S-):eek:S-)

I know Watermom was fighting back waves of retch when she (heroically) answered you before.
Thanks, Dave. Thanks for noticing my heroism! ;):p (Watermom slithers away........ she is really a big wuss! Just ask Ben! ;))

dansdad
06-03-2014, 03:22 PM
not really just found out these opossoms aren't that bad ANYWAY pool is 5.0 ch. level but I'm taking your advice and keeping it high at least for a couple days maybe 3 or more, Thanks Dave and Watermom

JimK
06-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Personally I'd just maintain normal CL levels (3-6 for a CYA level of 40) since they weren't in there very long. Perhaps I just have a higher ick factor tolerance. ;)

dansdad
06-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Yeah I wasn't sure, kinda felt like Watermom yeech! but when my pool store said 3 cases I said NO WAY. After I super shocked it to 5.0 I 'm sure it will be fine. I'm going to keep it high for at least a week, and beside we wont be swimming for 2 weeks anyway

Watermom
06-03-2014, 08:02 PM
With a CYA of 40, chlorine of 5ppm is not at shock level. Shock level would be 15ppm. See the Best Guess Chart here for the connection between CYA and chlorine. http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

dansdad
06-03-2014, 10:57 PM
thanks Watermom, more chlorine needed

dansdad
06-03-2014, 11:04 PM
need to add enough chlorine to bring it to 15. Pool store said 3 cases chlorine could that be right? 12 bottles of 12.5%

JimK
06-04-2014, 08:15 AM
need to add enough chlorine to bring it to 15. Pool store said 3 cases chlorine could that be right? 12 bottles of 12.5%

How much is in a bottle? Still sounds like a lot for your pool.

Watermom
06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
One quart of the 12.5% should add about 2.5ppm of chlorine to your pool. One gallon would add about 9.5. Use these as a reference to figure out how much you need to add after you test, to take your chlorine level up to 15ppm.

dansdad
06-04-2014, 11:34 AM
ok Watermom let me get this straight, because these numbers are what I will use from now on when testing. Lets say I have 1 ppm in my pool and I need to raise it to 10.5 then I only need one gallon? If that's the case I need to wonder why am I using so much chlorine on a weekly basis? I normally add a gallon and test and it usually comes to 3.0 So what could be going on here?

TomC
06-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Here's a neat little calculator you can use to help you figure out things like that.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Tom

Watermom
06-04-2014, 01:32 PM
ok Watermom let me get this straight, because these numbers are what I will use from now on when testing. Lets say I have 1 ppm in my pool and I need to raise it to 10.5 then I only need one gallon? If that's the case I need to wonder why am I using so much chlorine on a weekly basis? I normally add a gallon and test and it usually comes to 3.0 So what could be going on here?
Chlorine breaks down and loses strength. The higher the percentage, it seems the faster this occurs. So, your 12.5% may not be anywhere near 12.5%. Honestly, you might just be better off buying bleach. The turnover for Walmart's bleach is so fast that it is probably much fresher and closer to what it is advertised to be than some other forms of liquid chlorine.

dansdad
06-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Did not know higher concentrations would go down faster. Thanks Watermom

dansdad
06-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks Tom, I use the calculator all the time, but this is a % type thing

TomC
06-06-2014, 09:02 AM
This time of year I got lots of baby birds and baby rodents in my skimmers. Since I check my baskets every morning, I know whatever is in there hasn't been there for long. I usually just put a couple of gallons of bleach in and go swimming.

Tom

dansdad
06-06-2014, 01:13 PM
yeah Tom that's what I'm going to do. I put in a gallon of 12.5% and a bag of dichlor. I'm going to keep it around 5 or 6 for a while and I look every day to see if I got any more dead animals in there. I also tested some bleach my wife buys with a method Watermom gave the site (thanks Watermom), its only 4% but now I know what it is. ON THE BRIGHT SIDE I found Safeway has their brand for 3.25 a gallon and its 8.25 %. We don't have a Menards here so that's a find.

CarlD
06-06-2014, 01:42 PM
I would not let possums in even if they shower and wear bathing suits!

dansdad
06-06-2014, 07:08 PM
lol Carl the possum society yep it exists told me to put in a towel in my skimmer so they could climb out. If I find one more in there that's what I'm going to do along with 2 more gallons and keep it above 5.0 daily

TomC
06-07-2014, 08:01 AM
I would not let possums in even if they shower and wear bathing suits!

Of course if they bring some beer it might be a different story.

Tom

Watermom
06-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Hey, wait a minute, Tom. If the party is at your house today AND you're gonna invite possums, I'm not coming! :p