PDA

View Full Version : Can salt help remove stains (esp. iron)

smallpooldad
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
There are many recipes on the internet for removing iron stains, most contain the addition of salt, mostly to citric acid/lemon juice.

The question posed is would a pool that has salt help with removal of iron stains? Any opinions or if you are a chemist/scientist knowledge on the subject. And if so how is this acheived?

In a recent posting on salt some people add half the ppm of salt (about 1300 -1500 ppm) recommended for a saltwater generating chlorine system to get the effects of a saltwater pool, such as less eye irration and a softer felling from the water without having to purchase these units.

Added salt yesterday, 1400 ppm, so an opinion will be forthcoming in a few weeks or months.

waterbear
06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
the reason salt and citric acid remove rust is that salt (sodium chloride) and citric or any other weak acid (proton doner) will form HCl, which we all know as muriatic acid! Any acid will help remove rust as it changes it's oxidation state.

smallpooldad
06-07-2006, 05:19 AM
Waterbear,

Thankyou for the explanation. Well at least it feels pleasant and only cost me $22 from Lowes for 3 x 40 lbs bags. And now I can say I have a saltwater pool. One quick question, if I re-did the citric acid clean as suggested by Mbar (Marie) would I lose some salt?

Aloha

Rangeball
06-07-2006, 09:49 AM
AT 1400 ppm can you taste the salt in the water?

Did you notice a difference in your water quality after adding the salt?

smallpooldad
06-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Rangebell,

Have about 1200-1400 ppm salt, I think. Although not sure as test strip is hard to read properly. Used old TDS reading and took it away from my new TDS reading to get more accurate reading and this is 1240 salt.

Very slight taste difference, hardly noticeable but water feels softer and when my body dries in the sun it actually feels better and my hair does not have that flat appearance, looks more like I shampooed it.

Hope this helps.