PDA

View Full Version : Bringing an old pool back to life. Need equipment and plumbing help!

slythic
05-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

Watermom and PoolDoc helped me greatly in a previous thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/23953-Need-pool-renovation-advice-for-a-1950-s-pool) with my pool renovation decision.

Quick background: Have a 1950's concrete block pool which has been empty for 3 years. The existing 1.5HP single speed pump and sand filter are from 1998. The pump works (use it to drain the pool during rainy season) and the sand filter is in bad shape. I would like to replace the equipment for something new. More pool info can be found in the link above including photos.

My goal is to have a very low maintenance system. My second goal is a low electrical bill. I'm willing to spend a bit more upfront if necessary for this convenience.

The pool is currently plumbed with 1 1/2" galvanized pipe. This includes the two returns, the skimmer and the main drain. Later this year or early next year I plan to re-pipe the entire pool using 2" PVC pipe. Is 2" PVC overkill for this pool size?

The pool is 14,000-15,000 gallons (15 x 25, avg depth of 5') comes out to about 31GPM @ Hours per day) and I've calculated about 30-40' average head (1 main drain and 1 skimmer). I wanted to invest in getting a new 2-speed or variable speed pump (lower energy consumption), filter and possibly a salt generator (less time spent going to store to buy chlorine containers).

From what I've researched, a 3/4 HP pump should be sufficient for my pool. Is this correct? Later on when I repipe the pool, I may add a third return. I have been told that adding an extra return is recommended. I would also like to add 2-4 deck jets but I'm still not convinced about the deck jets.

I know a lot of people don't like cartridge filters but I'm looking into it as I hear it's low maintenance if you oversize (thinking of 150sqft or more even though I may only need about 95sqft). Another reason I would like the cartridge system is the small footprint (I can fit a sand filter but would prefer the smaller size). I also hear if you add some DE to the skimmer it "coats" cartridge and helps filter even better - any truth to this?

I would also like to incorporate a salt system mainly for the low maintenance upkeep but also because I've noticed salt pools "feel" better. I could be imagining this but it seems that way. Also, some of my family and friends suffer from allergies and I hear the salt system is better for them (not sure why or how though).

Some questions and concerns (some of which are hidden above):

1. Is 2" PVC plumbing throughout overkill for my pool size?
2. Is a 3/4 HP 2-speed or variable good for my pool size? Should I get a more powerful pump (especially if I get the deck jets later) so it runs more efficiently? Any pump recommendations?
3. Are cartridge filters the lowest maintenance option?
4. Is adding DE to a cartridge filter system a good idea?
5. Any experience with a salt chlorine generator? Is it actually lower maintenance?

slythic
06-01-2014, 12:38 PM
I've done some research on this forum (mainly this sticky: "Recommended equipment for new inground pool" (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/22981-Recommended-equipment-for-new-inground-pool)) and I think I've narrowed down a few options...

Pump: Pentair Whisperflow 2-Speed (WFDS-24 1HP or WFDS-26 1.5HP, not sure if I need the more powerful model). I would like run the system on the lowest effective speed, low and slow. I would love the VS version as I would save on electric costs but being in South Florida, it seems like potential lighting strikes may be an issue? Is it that lighting could strike the pool and damage the electronics in the pump? I would buy the surge protector (PS3000) if buying VS but it seems like it's still not a great idea for my location.

Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge. Thinking of getting the 320sqft model which is very oversized for my pool but I would like to reduce pool maintenance. Again, being in South Florida means my pool will be running all the time. Is 320sqft too much (would it somehow filter water less being so big)? Would the 240sqft model or even 200sqft model work better for me? I read the manual and Pentair recommends adding .5 to .75 lbs (varies per model) of DE per 100sqft of filter area to new filters and after cleaning filters to enhance filtration. This seems to me like the best compromise.

Salt Water Chlorine Generator: Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40K or Autopilot equivalent (I will probably go for the better priced unit if they are equally reliable).

Whitegoods: All Hayward. Skimmer is plumbed independently from main drain. Any model recommendations on skimmer, main drain(s) and returns? Pool will have 1 skimmer, 1 or 2 main drains and 2 or 3 returns. Pool currently has 2 returns, would adding a 3rd return be worth it?

Deck Jets: Any recommendations?

Plumbing: I would like to do 2" PVC plumbing but not sure if it's best to do 1 1/2" plumbing for a a pool my size. Any thoughts? Price difference is a non-factor, just want the optimal flow.