PDA

View Full Version : To filter or not

jawman
06-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Greetings,

I'm getting ready to open my pool and anticipate, as in past years, to find a nice bloom of green algae when I remove the cover.

The pool installer suggested I could run the filter without the paper cartridges while I shock (yes, I will use bleach) until the algae is dead, and then put the cartridges in the filter to remove the dead algae. Essentially, I'd simply be circulating the water killing off the live algae.

Does that make sense? Any advantages or disadvantages to doing this?

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions.

Regards,

jawman

duraleigh
06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi, jawman,

First, I'm a sand filter guy so take this opinion with a grain of salt. I think your poolman's idea is interesting but it will not help.

The sooner you start filtering the dead algae out, the sooner your pool will clear. Removing the cartridge will not accelarate the killing process and will only delay the cleaning. I see no advantage.

jawman
06-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Dave,

Thanks.

Regards,

jawman

waste
06-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Jawman and Dave, don't be so quick to ignore him, the pool dude might be onto something. Without the cartridges in, the pool is running on 'recirc', the water is moving and the chems are getting spread arround. It also allows Jaw to 'vac to waste' by opening the drain plug and attaching a hose to it. Let the bleach do it's killing and get the debris out without having to clean the cartridges, providing that water to refill the pool is not a problem, at least this guy has given it some thought, I'm sure that the fact that I've suggested the same thing here isn't influencing my response at all ;) Jaw, however you handle it, I hope you have a great summer with your pool once the algae is gone!!

MarkC
06-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I agree with running the pump without the cartridges in while shocking so you can circulate. I would then shut off the pump and let everything settle to the bottom. Then I would vac. to waste and remove most of the junk.

jawman
06-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Waste,

That's exactly what my pool guy suggested including vacuuming the debris directly out of the pool.

I was a little aprehensive without having additional input, and opted to open the pool before I saw your post and MarkC's.

With a mesh cover, my opening always reveals a green swamp with decaying leaves, pine needles, and pollen.

I think I may try this next year.

I know many folks here close their pools and save themselves big bucks, but I'm not there yet. I'm concerned that I may not get all the water out of the lines and have a major problem. So I have the guy who installed the pool three years ago close it and he does a good job for less than $300. He's always willing to share information too, so I like working with him.

Again, thanks and regards,

jawman

jawman
06-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Waste,

That's exactly what my pool guy suggested including vacuuming the debris directly out of the pool.

I was a little apprehensive without having additional input, and opted to open the pool before I saw your post and MarkC's.

With a mesh cover, my opening always reveals a green swamp with decaying leaves, pine needles, and pollen.

I think I may try this next year.

I know many folks here close their pools and save themselves big bucks, but I'm not there yet. I'm concerned that I may not get all the water out of the lines and have a major problem. So I have the guy who installed the pool three years ago close it and he does a good job for less than $300. He's always willing to share information too, so I like working with him.

Again, thanks and regards,

jawman