PDA

View Full Version : In ground vs. above ground solar panels

scottturner
03-31-2006, 04:04 PM
I have an inground pool, and I understand that inground and above ground pumps have different pressures to handle, thus different pumps. Are the solar panels created with this in mind also, or is it simply marketing? I don't really have a permanent place to put solar panels yet, I need a new roof before I put anything up there. I would like to use some solar panels to help warm the water, especially at the start of the season. I was wondering if I could use the above ground solar panels as most likely I will use them laying on the deck around the pool, or on a portable stand. I will probably store them away during the middle of the summer and over the winter. Can I just plumb in some water diverters and use above ground pool solar panels, or should I go ahead with the IG? I like the portability, or at least the appearance, of the above ground solar panels. Thanks.

CarlD
04-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Panels are panels. There is no IG vs AG panels. Whatever you do you want to move the maximum amount of water through them they can handle for maximum effectiveness.

Don't put them away in the heat of the summer! Run them at night and they will COOL your pool!

scottturner
04-01-2006, 09:12 AM
The only reason I may put them away in the heat of the summer is due to them being in the way of increased pool activity. I don't have a great place to permanently put them right now. I got a chuckle because I live in Michigan, and most likely I will need them to help warm the pool even in the "heat" of the summer.:) Thanks for the input.

matt4x4
04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
There is a difference!
$100 per set more if you buy inground panels, as for the actual make up of the panel - no difference, I think the IG box gives you about 10 dollars more in parts (that you can also buy sepaprate out of the bulk parts section).
My friend saved 300 dollars by getting the AG ones for his IG pool.

scottturner
04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Nice, thanks.

blk133
05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Don't above ground solar panels have a piece in the middle to make the water go in and out on the same side? Sort of like a U-Turn in same pannel? I thought inground don't have this brake piece?

Can someone tell me please if it is the way I think it is?

jmcst25
05-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't think so - (water same side) - unless it is a specific vendor design. water goes in one side and should exist the opposite corner after it is pushed through the panel.

Here are my observations about solar panels - The solar panels typically used for AG are 2x20 and meant to be rolled up and put away for winter - and may be of lessor material quality (shorter life) -- (I'm just quessing).

The solar panels typically used for IG are 4x12 and typically mounted on a roof or other large platform and left out all year long - and are designed to take the weather (Since they are mounted to the roof - it would be too difficult to take down).

You can use either - but it really comes down to cost and installation space.

I just ordered solar panels to mount on the roof - they should arrive this week. I solicited feed back on this forum (Solar Panel (Roof Mount) thread) - and was given a website that has great information on solar oanels - http://www.powermat.com/ - it explained alot.

I have a south facing house (optimal) and 18x26 IG in Pgh PA. I order 6 panels and the auto control system. I am doing the design - but hired a general contractor to handle to roof part ( i.e. make sure the roof does not leak or they blow off).

Once installed -- I post the sucess story (hopefully).

tphaggerty
05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
I think the difference is more between permanent installation and seasonal as described earlier. Most of the seasonal type do have the setup where the water enters and exits at the same side of the panel, making a U turn within the panel (both of the other ends are capped). As noted, these are often 20 ft long.

Panels designed for permanent installation are generally shorter (so they fit on a roof, but you CAN get sizes other than 12ft, they range from 8 to about 16, we got 14 footers to maximize coverage). They also are designed to be installed such that the water enters at the bottom, is forced UP through the panels and returns to the pool from the top (no U turn). These panels normally can be linked together to whatever width you desire using the supplied tubing (or in the case of Heliocol, a special fitting). The water enters at one lower corner and exits at the opposite upper corner.

The other big difference, as noted in a number of recent threads, is that most on-ground, seasonal types of solar panels are filled up with water once and *normally* remain filled with water. Most permanent installations that are above pool height are designed as drain back systems, meaning that when they turn off, all of the water in the system drains back to pool level.

I second the thought of going to www.powermat.com, a very helpful site to learn about this stuff.