PDA

View Full Version : Pool finally starting to clear.....Question

c130jake
06-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I finally got all my plumbing problems and new pump and 6way valve installed prior to leaving on a trip for work. I was gone for 5 days, and before I left, I put a couple of pucks in the skimmer (CYA was low and they were free from the pool store) and a couple of bottles of bleach to continue to try to clear my cloudy pool. My solar cover was on the last 5 days to try to get the temp up to 80ish. (79f right now)
I can finally see the bottom but not as clear as I would like. Should I remove the cover? Add more bleach? My test kit is still in transit so todays pool store numbers are....TDS 4500, CYA 40, Total Cl 8.2, Free CL 8.2, pH 7.8, total Alk 112, Total hardness 56, no metals, and he told me my salt was at 2900.
If the total disolved solids is 4500, and the salt is supposidly 2900, how can the hardness be 56? Pool dude says I need balance pack 300 and 100 to get the alkalinity and hardness up. What part does the hardness do for my pool? I have an old faded vinyl pool 20000gal with and old PF50 sand filter and new wisperflo 1hp pump and a G4 barracuda cleaning up the bottom.
Looking forward to swimming soon.

Jake

duraleigh
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Jake,

Total Hardness is probably referring to Calcium Levels which are not related to TDS. Disregard all of them for your pool....not important.

If you water is unsatisfactory, bring your Cl level up to around 15ppm and KEEP IT THERE 'til you water looks the way you want. KEEP IT THERE by testing for FC as often as you can (dusk and late night are the best) and adding enough bleach to bring it right back up to 15ppm. Run your pump 24/7 during this process.

Based on your description, your water will clear up pretty quickly....day or two usually.....but only if you :) "KEEP IT THERE":)

Skip the pools store stuff....you don't need it

c130jake
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks, I didn't think a vinyl pool would care about how hard the water is. Not much calcium to leach out of the liner. Just making sure the pump or filer wouldn't be hurt by the hardness level. Should I take the cover off? The temp is almost there.

Thanks again, Jake

duraleigh
06-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I would. It'll make it a lot easier to do the frequent testing and adding. Besides, when you see how crystal your water will be, your family will not want to wait to get that cover off!! CANNONBALL!!!:)

Watermom
06-06-2006, 03:28 PM
You should remove a solar cover whenever you shock a pool.