PDA

View Full Version : What is the best solar pool cover?

mommak
05-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Okay, this will only be our second time setting up our Intex pool. If I remember correctly,it is 24' by 52". Our first year we could never get it warm enough for a Michigan summer. This year we want it to be enjoyable.
Any recommendations for the best solar cover that is not overly expensive? I would like to spend less than$200, since I have read that these covers can be heavy, I would also appreciate any information on the thing that helps to roll and unroll the cover.

Watermom
05-26-2014, 09:57 PM
This topic has been discussed several times on the forum previously and I think the consensus is that it doesn't really matter all that much which type as long as you use it consistently. Solar covers don't really heat the water all that much but they keep your pool from losing heat overnight. If you pair it with a solar panel to actually heat the water, you can actually raise the temp of your water quite a bit. I have a 27ft AG pool and use both on my pool -- solar panel and a solar cover. I think the type of solar panel I have is a FAFCO. You can probably google for that to see what it is.

The solar cover is definitely a pain in the you know what to deal with. Through the years, I have tried many different methods for dealing with the cover. I will add a couple of links to some threads that show some ideas for dealing with a solar cover, specifically on a round AG pool. Currently, I use something called a Solar Roller Cover Stick. There is a video demo of this on the following website. It actually does work pretty well, at least better than anything else I have tried previously. www.solarroller.com.

I will look for those other threads and edit this post to include them when I find them.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

EDIT: http://pool9.net/wm-scover/
http://pool9.net/wm-pool-advent/

mommak
05-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the response. Does it matter what mill the cover is? I had read that 16 mill is the best, and clear. Do you feel this is true?

This weekend we hope to set up the pool, its been a few years since we have set it up. The summers just have not been warm enough.

Watermom
05-27-2014, 03:36 PM
i personally don't think it matters all that much. I usually just go and buy whatever they have for sale at Lowe's. I don't want to spend a lot on a cover and what we have found here on this forum is that regardless of how much you pay, nobody really gets all that long out of any cover. Most people only get 2-3 seasons and then need to replace it.