PDA

View Full Version : I need a pool timer for a 15 amp twist lock plug

Cold Drink
06-06-2006, 08:41 AM
I have a hayward superpump that has a 15 amp twist lock plug. I've been trying to find a pool timer that can be used with this plug but can't find one anywhere. I'm looking for something like this but in 15 amp instead of 20 amp:

http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/39_417_618

I actually bought that one not realizing I was buying the wrong size for my pump so I have to return it. Is there anyplace on-line where I can buy a pool timer for a 15 amp twist-lock plug? I'm going on vacation for a week and I don't want to have to leave the pump on 24/7 if I don't have to.

- Tom

ScottS
06-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Intermatic offers a few different timers like the one you show

http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=207

There is the link to the other models which include 15amp versions. However I didn't see any that show twist and lock plugs. Contact them to ask your question if you don't see what you are looking for.

cleancloths
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM
First you can always use a 20amp timer in place of a 15amp -- the other way would be a bad idea. Next, why not just buy any old 15 amp electrical timer and hard wire it without the plug -- I would think that would be much cheaper.

sevver
06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I got rid of my twist lock plug, I hardwired a new pigtail into it. The twistlock was a hassle anyhow, the male end was so big I could not close the cover on the outlet. The only other thing I would do is hardwire it, but since I bring the pump in for the winter, I won't do that.

Cold Drink
06-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I was thinking of getting rid of the twist lock plug but someone told me it would no longer be "up to code" with a regular plug. Not that anyone will be checking. My cover doesn't close either with the twist lock plug.

So it seems like no one sells a 15amp timer with twist lock plug. I guess my best thing would be to hard wire a timer at my circuit box. I'm not sure how exactly to do that so I guess I'll be calling an electrician.

- TOm

MaxxFusion
06-09-2006, 07:57 AM
I was thinking of getting rid of the twist lock plug but someone told me it would no longer be "up to code" with a regular plug. Not that anyone will be checking. My cover doesn't close either with the twist lock plug.

So it seems like no one sells a 15amp timer with twist lock plug. I guess my best thing would be to hard wire a timer at my circuit box. I'm not sure how exactly to do that so I guess I'll be calling an electrician.

- TOm

I had the same problem last year when i installed my pool. The city required me to use a twist lock for the pump. My buble cover barely closes on it. I too looked for a timer but could not find one. I ended up wiring in the Intermatic timer just before my twist lock recepticle. So now when the timer kicks on it just supplies power to the twist lock.

The install of the timer is quite easy. Its all labeled inside.

Frank

sevver
06-09-2006, 09:15 AM

- TOm
That must be where I went wrong, no permit, no inspection, I suppose I just used common sense. :o