PDA

View Full Version : 1st test this season

donfranko
03-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Beautiful day here so I decided to test my water for the 1st time this season. The pool is still covered.
My 1st question is at what temp would algae start growing?
Scheduled to have opening May 6th but concerned now that see my chlorine levels. I don't think I should add chlorine without the filter running.

I also have a heater, is there a specific Alk target I should shoot for?

Does Calcium affect the heater at all?

30X20 15X32 IG vinyl straight "L" about 50K gallons

Temp: Cold less than 50 degrees
FC: 0
CC:0
TC: 0
PH 7.2
Alk:60
Cal:70
CYA: less than 20

aylad
04-12-2006, 08:42 PM
In the past, it was generally thought that algae wouldn't grow below 50 degrees. However, there have been a couple of people this year so far that have experienced some algae growth at less than 50 degrees, with at least one still having ice on the top of the pool. The good news is that if you put chlorine in, the low water temps will keep your chlorine levels from dropping as fast as they do withwarm water. If you don't want to turn your pump on yet, you can always pour some bleach around the perimeter of the pool, stirring with a broom handle or pole or something just to make sure you don't get any "hot spots" on your liner.

Janet

Poconos (Al)
Heh Heh...the guy with the ice was me. Whacked it with bleach, circulated with a backup pump...regular stuff not yet hooked up, and problem solved. We have to be dynamic and respond to quick changes up here at the North Pole.