PDA

View Full Version : How do I add cya?

tjcat
06-06-2006, 12:45 AM
I will be testing my water for the first time tomorrow since it was filled today by water truck. I am not sure how to add cya since it seems so hard to dissolve in water. Is there any trick to adding it?
New 28' round above ground 54" wall height, water level at 50"
approx.19,394 gallons
1 1/2 hp DE filter Thank you

CarlD
06-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Standard way:
Put it in your skimmer and run your filter for a week straight without backwashing. Don't empty your skimmer until it's dissolved.

I add this advice:
1) get a reading on how much CYA you have.
2) However much you think you need to reach your target, normally 30-50ppm, plan on adding 1/4 to 1/2 that amount. It's VERY easy to over-estimate and you do NOT want to overshoot your target.
3) after the first dose is complete, test your CYA and repeat only if necessary.

Remember: adding CYA is easy, removing it can only be done by dilution--draining and replacing some of your water.

You can also: Put it in an old stocking and tie it to the pool ladder, letting it dissolve that way--but again, don't backwash for a week.

Or, you can use Tri-Chlor pucks in a floater--they add CYA constantly which CAN be a problem, but when you need it, they can be great. But pucks also are very acid so you need to keep several boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax around and check your pH every day or two to keep it from getting low. Use Borax to raise pH if it does.

It's sometimes hard to find smaller quantities of pucks, but you can--but make VERY sure they do NOT have copper in them--do NOT buy HTH products because they add copper. If it says "Double Acting", STAY AWAY!!!!

PatL34
06-06-2006, 07:16 AM
I have been trying the method used in this post. Works well for me. If you have a deck for the pool, it will work.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645#post6645

Pat