PDA

View Full Version : Pool Opening - Adjusting Chemicals

imoapie
05-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi, first timer here.

I recently got the Taylor 2006 kit and looking to do the BBB method. Initial test returned no chlorine, I kept adding dpd and nothing happened. PH is super low (like 30 drops to get to 7.4) as is Alkalinity (never turned green). 50 CYA.

Looking to open the pool this weekend. It is a standard in ground pool. Not sure of volume but will measure when I open the pool, guesstimating 30x15 pool.

What do I do about pool chemistry. Already have borax, soda ash and sodium hydroxide, baking soda and bleach on hand. Reading as much as I can about borax vs soda ash vs sodium hydroxide and the more I read the more confusing and contradictory it seems. I know sodium hydroxide is nasty but I'm not really afraid of it so willing to try it if its better. Like I said, I already have all of it at home so it is a matter of opening, diluting, using what you guys suggest.

Watermom
05-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Most important right now is to get your pH above 7 since readings below that are acidic and can damage your pool. Add a box slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running, breaking up any clumps. Retest a couple hours later and repeat as necessary.

Get some bleach in there before your pool turns green. For now, add a couple of gallons. You can add it to the skimmer after you put in the Borax with no reactions between the two. If you can, retest chlorine a couple hours after you add it this evening and then again within an hour of sunrise in the morning. Report how much you lost overnight.