PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in an above ground winter cover?

gonefishin
06-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi all,

I'm a new pool owner who has a 24' above ground round pool. I've currently got a credit from the pool store (I took back the included nature2 system) and was thinking a winter cover may be a wise buy.

I know I'm eventually going to need one...but I don't know what to look for.

any advice?

thanks!
dan

waste
06-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Dan, my first thought was that you're nuts to be worrying about this in June, but on further consideration, you are one smart cookie! (Some folks would have waited til Dec 1 to post this :) ) If you have a deck around the entire pool, a correctly sized IG cover would work with watertubes. They make round covers for AG pools that have a wire cable to secure them to the outside of the pool - the winches on them are BS and the cable is prone to breaking easily, perhaps you could get one of these and fool around with a better securing method, a lot of people use a rope that will fit through the 'eyelets' (?), put a 'reefing loop' in them and tie gallon jugs (3/4 filled w/ water) onto the rope between the eyelets, for ballast to help keep the cover from blowing off or falling in the pool. As your credit should be sizable, you may also want to invest in an 8' air pillow, which will force the water that accumulates on the cover to the edges (and remove some of the strain on the walls) and makes pumping the water off of the cover easier. Also get a cover pump, with your credit you should be able to get one that has a pressure switch to turn it on automatically when there is sufficient water on the cover. Keeping the cover debris and water free really helps on the opening.
These are just a few ideas, perhaps others will post in, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it right now. If you've any ?s - I'll keep my eye on this.
Good move ditching the Nature 2, make note to see how long your store credit is good for! In the mean time - ENJOY YOUR POOL!!

gonefishin
06-15-2006, 09:49 AM
lol :D well...maybe I'm just a little off my rocker ;)

I could see how my posts looks a little "off". I'm a new pool owner...and I'm asking a question about closing my pool when I've just recently got it installed

I have already spent the money that I got from taking back the nature2 system. I ended up buying a new cartridge filter. I figured I will eventually need a new one at some point...and buying one now will allow me to have a nice rotation system in place.

The reason I was asking about a winter cover is two-fold (if only my solar cover was two-fold as well:mad: ).

One...I know nothing about them but have heard previous pool owners complain about the problems they were having with them. I need to educate myself on what works...what doesn't...and then come up with what works for me.

Two...I know I need one, so I'll keep my eye open for a good sale. Hey...why not save money :)

thanks for the suggestions...my quest has begun

happy swimming :D
dan