PDA

View Full Version : Argggghhhh!!!

no1ford
06-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok-so I have finally cleared up my gross green color after 1 full week of high chlorine and iron out in my water. NOW............... I have still a slight green tint and it is cloudy-I can no longer see the bottom.

My chlorine is still high and it was easy to see the bottom until yesterday

FC-10 +
Ph-7.8
Alk-120
Cya-30-50

What do I do now?

no1ford
06-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Anyone? Please

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Is 10+ over your test? I think shock in the 30-50 CYA range is like 15 ppm. I would keep cl in that range, run the filter 24/7 and backwash as needed. Make sure your return is clear water otherwise you may have an issue inside the sand filter that is allowing matter to escape back into the pool.

no1ford
06-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Is 10+ over your test? I think shock in the 30-50 CYA range is like 15 ppm. I would keep cl in that range, run the filter 24/7 and backwash as needed. Make sure your return is clear water otherwise you may have an issue inside the sand filter that is allowing matter to escape back into the pool.

I actually do not have a sand filter, I have an intex 18x48 metal sided with the filter that came with it.-the man at the pool atore said to use a flocculant. Any comments

no1ford
06-07-2006, 11:40 PM
any suggestions would be appreciated

CarlD
06-08-2006, 06:39 AM
If you didn't use the flocculent, don't. He's not addressing your problem. Floc is for particles too small for the filter to catch.

Your pH is too high. Maybe. Add acid (dry or muriatic) to get it down to 7.3-7.5 but no higher than 7.6. Chlorine loses effectiveness at higher pH levels. Unfortunately, at high chlorine levels, most pH tests are inaccurate. Usually, to run the test properly, a chlorine neutralizer must be added first.

You need FC to be at 15ppm. If you are using test strips, you need to get a drop-based kit. Unfortunately, kits that go to 50ppm use the FAS-DPD test and these are tougher to come by. The best is the PoolSolutions.com kit, followed by both the Taylor 2006 kit and the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. These should all have the chlorine neutralizer already in the pH test.

In the meantime, the Walmart 5-way HTH drop kit, if available, is the next best alternative, but only measures to 5ppm of total chlorine. But if you dilute the pool water with distilled water you can measure to higher levels.
The CarlD Shot Glass Method: Take an ordinary shot glass and use it to measure one shot of pool water. Now measure out two shots of steam distilled water and mix. Use this mix in your test cell and triple the measurements. So if your Walmart kit measures to 5ppm of chlorine, you have 15ppm.

I think you need to keep hammering your pool with bleach for a while longer. You probably need to replace your Intex cartridge, too. Patience and persistence.

no1ford
06-08-2006, 08:23 AM
ok here are my levels-
ph-6.8
fc-3ppm
alk-120ppm
stabalizer- 0

I have super cloudy water resulting from killing algea and having copper. two week deal-clear up until 2 days ago. told to use floc by pool store-haven't gotten yet. do you think I should leave my filter off for the day and let all dirt fall to bottom to see if pool water clears? Or will leaving the filter off shoot me back another day?

18x 48 intex metal frame pool

JohnT
06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
ok here are my levels-
ph-6.8
fc-3ppm
alk-120ppm
stabalizer- 0

I have super cloudy water resulting from killing algea and having copper. two week deal-clear up until 2 days ago. told to use floc by pool store-haven't gotten yet. do you think I should leave my filter off for the day and let all dirt fall to bottom to see if pool water clears? Or will leaving the filter off shoot me back another day?

18x 48 intex metal frame pool

You need to get your pH up. If the cloudiness falls to the bottom, how will you get it out of the pool? Most small pools can't use a real vacuum, and the leaf vacs will just blow it through the bag, so I don't see you having much choice but to leave it running. Maybe even brush it to stir up what has settled.

no1ford
06-08-2006, 09:36 AM
ok on ph-will get some ph plus and what about floc-do you recommened it?

no1ford
06-08-2006, 09:38 AM
my water looks like blue milk!

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-08-2006, 09:52 AM
The low pH will cause cloudiness in the water. You can add borax from grocery store or you can buy pH Up but I would not worry about the floc.

no1ford
06-08-2006, 04:59 PM
a lot of cloudiness??

Watermom
06-08-2006, 05:07 PM
I think you have gotten sound advice in this thread. You need to shock your pool up to about 15 and try and hold it there as Carl advised above. You also need add some Borax to bring your ph up above 7.0. I also don't understand how you had a stabilizer reading of 30-50 a couple of days ago and now you have none. That doesn't change that fast. At any rate, keep shocking and try not to let your cl level come down. Test several times a day and each time add enough bleach to bring it back up to shock level. Run your pump 24/7.

no1ford
06-08-2006, 05:20 PM
I had used two different tests and I now added stabalizer. The chlorine has been up for two weeks at 10plus. I will go tonight and get some ph plus and cross my fingers! How long does it usually take to clear? and really can it get that cloudy from just ph? I can't see a foot down

Thanks

no1ford
06-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Ok-so I went to the pool store and they gave me copper algecide-so we will see

waterbear
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Ok-so I went to the pool store and they gave me copper algecide-so we will see
a whole new kettle of worms!

Read these pages on the sister website www.poolsolutions.com
http://poolsolutions.com/gd/avoiding_algae.html
http://poolsolutions.com/tips/tip08.html
http://poolsolutions.com/gd/cloudy.html

Hope this info is useful!

Watermom
06-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Do NOT use a copper algaecide. You do NOT want copper in your pool. As Waterbear said above, it opens a whole new kettle of worms!

no1ford
06-08-2006, 09:07 PM
too late-now what!!! I think I am going to drain and cry!

waterbear
06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
No need to drain. What's done is done. You can live with the copper....or add a metal sequsterant to deactivte it. I personally would live with it. If you shock and the water gets greener it is the copper. You will need to add sequesternt then. A lot of times that doesn't happen. A lot of times it does.
Just keep tabs on it. It will help kill the algae.
If anyone gets green hair from the copper in the pool it is easy to fix....check out this thread!
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=326

no1ford
06-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Oh-thanks you. I was ready to drain!! I am blown away! I added three bottles of iron out and then the same guy gave me copper algecide for the cloudiness! So didn't he just give me my problem back! My blonde one did swim right after I added, but once she got out we washed her hair and it looks ok.

waterbear
06-08-2006, 09:27 PM
You put in three bottles of metal remover and then added metal? I think they have pretty much neutralized each other and the only real effect is that the pool store got richer and you got poorer!:(
Sometimes I think that people who work in pool stores need to pass an intellegence test to show that they are not complete morons and idiots!

no1ford
06-08-2006, 09:32 PM
my fault too!! Can you say DUH!! Ok-so maybe I added to much metal out-it got cloudy and then the copper will even it out!?? I hope!

waterbear
06-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Your next step is to get your water tested for :
FC
TC
pH
Alk
CH
CYA
Copper
Iron
Seqesterant (not many places test for this so if they don't it's ok)
You do NOT want the testing done by strips but by liquid reagents (Taylor Technologies)or palstic vials of powdered reagents that the water is added to (LaMotte). Both of these are accurate if the testing is done right. The most important thing to have the pool store do is the metal testing if you have a drop based kit that you can test the other paramerters on. From there we can see what has happened and see where you need to go.

Test strips are NOT ok for this testing, either by you or the pool store!

no1ford
06-08-2006, 09:42 PM
ok-thanks! I will try to get to a pool store that doesn't use strips. My ph-alk and fc were perfect today-cya ideal according to strips-30-50. I am hoping it clears up-I will let it run the 24 hours like they said and then see.

Thank you so much-this is hard. Is is possible that the copper algedide could clear up the cloudiness?

waterbear
06-08-2006, 09:50 PM
ok-thanks! I will try to get to a pool store that doesn't use strips. My ph-alk and fc were perfect today-cya ideal according to strips-30-50. I am hoping it clears up-I will let it run the 24 hours like they said and then see.

Thank you so much-this is hard. Is is possible that the copper algedide could clear up the cloudiness? Don't trust the strips, bottom line!
Check walmart and kmart to see if they carry the Aquachem 6 way test kit that uses reagents. Best kit you can get for under $20. If you want a real testkit order the one from the sister website to the forum www.poolsolutions.com or get a Taylor K-2006 kit. The kit on poolsolutions is a better "bang for your buck!"
I doubt the copper is going to do much good with 3 bottles of sequesterant in the water. Get the copper levels tested and we will know.

no1ford
06-08-2006, 09:55 PM
ok-thanks.

no1ford
06-08-2006, 10:20 PM
one more question-should I keep running the filter or shut it off and see if water clears? I haven't vacuumed yet.

waterbear
06-08-2006, 10:22 PM
keep the filter running

no1ford
06-08-2006, 10:24 PM
ok-will do. At least my water is blue and not brown! There always is an upside! :)

Karen_in_TN
06-09-2006, 03:20 AM
I know you are going crazy! I was there two years ago when I had a intex pool. You didn't mention if yours has the skimmer that hangs on the side. If it does, I would use a filter sock if you aren't already. Those intex pumps just take forever to clear the water. The pump never gave us any trouble as long as I was on top of my water. But once I got algae is was almost impossible to get it clear. Keep the pump on and clean or change the filter as often as you possibly can.

Karen

no1ford
06-09-2006, 07:37 AM
what sock? I do have a side skimmer. This am -no change in water!

no1ford
06-09-2006, 08:32 AM
ok-I did some reading and I put a nylon on the outside of my skimmer sleeve to filter through. It wouldn't fit nicely inside -so I thought I would try out first and see.

no1ford
06-09-2006, 03:49 PM
ok-so I can see maybe 6 inches farther down and have a turqouise color. very pretty! I am just going to let the filter run for a few days and keep levels good and see if now with the nylon on if things filter through. I do have a very small pump-so maybe the days I was given is unrealistic. I will update when I have change!

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-09-2006, 04:49 PM
The best thing you can do is get that Chlorine into shock level and keep it there throughout the day.

no1ford
06-09-2006, 05:31 PM
It had been at 10 + for two weeks, Can't I let it drop yet?

no1ford
06-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Still looks the same! Blue and cloudy-I'll keep it the pump a running!

no1ford
06-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Can I use bleach in my 18 x 48 intex pool? The pool store is out of chlorine. What do you use for ph plus and minus and clarifier?

waterbear
06-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Bleach is chlorine. You should read this on the sister website PoolSolutions
and when you are done read EVERYTHING ESLE that you can on that site!
http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/grocery.html

If you follow the advice on there you should have no need for clairfier! The only things you will need from the poolstore are Stabilizer and Muriatic Acid (although you can also find those at such places as Home Depot, Walmart, and Hardware stores!)

AND GET YOURSELF A TEST KIT. LOOK FOR THE AQUACHEM 6 WAY AT WALMART OR KMART. Best test kit out there for under $20

If you had done this from the beginning you would be swimming already!

Watermom
06-11-2006, 10:01 PM
No1ford - Please go back and reread all the advice you have been given. You asked if bleach can be used as chlorine? In one of my responses above (post #13) I suggested to you that you use bleach. I agree with Waterbear that you need to go and read at www.poolsolutions.com to learn the basics. Also, read through a lot of the other threads on the forum. You will learn so much that can help you manage your pool.

This thread is getting pretty long - we are up to post #38 already. We are always glad to help but we need you to focus closely on following the advice we are giving and to inform yourself as much as possible by reading PoolSolutions. Hopefully, you will see much improvement very soon.

no1ford
06-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Thank you- I am doing my best! I have been given one hundred different stories. Sorry for the long thread.

waterbear
06-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Thank you- I am doing my best! I have been given one hundred different stories. Sorry for the long thread.
Maybe from the pool store but not from here. I have just reread the entire thread and you have been told several times:
1 to get a test kit, not strips, and test your own water
2 get your chlorine levels up to shock level and KEEP THEM THERE by adding BLEACH seveal times a day for as long as it takes to clear the water
3 keep your filter running 24/7
4 to read the info on www.poolsolutons.com

You were never told by us to add copper but you did. The pool store also told you to use flocculant. He is trying to sell chemicals to you, we are not. These additions have actually slowed your progress.
I truely believe that if you had followed the advice we have given you your pool would be clear and you would be swimming right now. It is not too late but it is really up to you.

Sorry if I seem to be coming down hard on you but if you don't want to follow the very good advice that has been given here then it really won't do much good.
And I happen to work in a pool store and I am the first to disagree with a lot of the 'pool store advice' that I hear! I will be the first to admit that at work I sell alkalinity increaser and not baking soda and that I sell liquid chlorine and not bleach but the store does need to stay in business. None the less I still tell people to attack algae first with chlorine before resorting to other algecides, to keep tabs on their stabilizer levels when they use stablized chlorine and be ready to either drain and refill or switch to non stabilized chlorine when the levels get too high, and I stress that good pool maintenece begings and ends with the owner taking responsiblity for their pool and doing some testing at home in between complete water tests at the store, at least testing for FC and pH and not with strips! Unfortunatly, I have found that many people just want a 'magic bottle of stuff' to pour into their pool and fix the problems. There is no such thing!
I try to educate my customers about proper pool care and it pays off in repeat business! However, there are some that just don't want to hear it no matter how much I try so I just sell them a bottle of this and a bottle of that knowing full well that it won't fix their pool becuase that is all they want. You have to decide which group you want to be in.
I learned much, if not most, of what I know about pool maintenence right in this forum and it works!
Try it for yourself and see!

no1ford
06-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Thank you!

I have been reading prevoius posts and I had read one that said she poured bleach in her intex pool and completly bleached her liner! So I was curious.

My filter has been running for three days since adding the copper and I can see the bottom, although it is still cloudy. I have decided to use the flocculant and do a good vacuum.

After that I will try your style of chemicals.

I appreciate your help and I do want to try this, but it seems you all mostly have "real pools" and I have an intex. So that is why I had originally asked the question.

I am hoping to get to Walmart this week for the different water test.

no1ford
06-11-2006, 11:05 PM
I have had the pool in Shock mode for 3 weeks.

CarlD
06-11-2006, 11:15 PM
No1Ford:

You have not been given 100 stories by us. I have just read through this thread again and the advice you have been given here is consistent and non-contradictory. If you are having troubles understanding it, well, I can understand that. We may all be saying the same thing but it doesn't necessarily sound like the same thing. We may all need to work on our writing skills.

However, you will not be able to reconcile our advice and that of the pool stores you have been using. We DO contradict standard pool store dogma everyday--because our advice consistently works, and theirs does not consistently work.

Please go back and re-read the thread. Re-read Watermom's last thread and follow her advice. It is always sound.

You cannot solve a problem pool using test strips. They simply don't work well enough. You need at least the WalMart HTH 5-way kit.

At this point, I'm afraid my personal best suggestion is that you drain your pool, wash it out as best you can, and refill it. Intex pools are usually designed to go up and down each season. After that, stick to the basics and stop buying all kinds of pool store chemicals you don't need.

Meanwhile, I am going to lock this thread as it has gotten far too long, and nothing new is being added.