PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Test Numbers

OutlawZ
05-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Just got my Taylor test kit in today and wanted to check my numbers.

PH - 7.5
FC - 8
CC - .5
TA - 130
CYA - 70

I added 5 lbs of stabilizer Saturday evening and 1 gallon of bleach yesterday evening.
My questions are,
1 - Will the FC come down as the chlorine burns away? Should I be concerned?
2 - Should I be seeing CC? Even the pool store showed it with high FC last week
3 - Should I try and bring the TA down?

Thanks for advice and help,
Wayne Lucado

CarlD
05-19-2014, 08:05 PM
OK, I think you're in far better shape than you do.
1) pH is fine--perfect IMHO.
2) With a CYA of 70, the normal maintenance range for FC is 5-10ppm--8 is smack in the middle, perfect again. You should find that keeping it there is pretty easy and the FC doesn't drop much. That's good, especially in warmer, muggy climates--as NC can be in the summer (I once lived in the CH area).
3) CC of .5 means it's anywhere from .1 to .5, but not more than that. You don't have to worry.
5) TA of 130 in a vinyl pool is FINE! No big deal. You only want to lower it if you see your pH constantly trending up. If pH is stable, don't mess with the TA In a vinyl pool you can safely go at least as high as 180 without a worry. IF your TA is 200 AND your Calcium Hardness is over 400 you may start to get white cloudy water and scaling. That's when you need to lower TA.

My suggestion is: Go Swimming!

OutlawZ
05-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Awesome news Carl!

This has been a great learning experience and the vast wealth of knowledge here has helped a ton.
I'm just hoping this wasn't beginners luck.......LOL

Thanks for the advice and help.
Wayne

Watermom
05-19-2014, 08:40 PM
I agree -- the numbers look pretty good. Isn't the kit great?

If you haven't yet done so, also read over on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Lots of good info there as well. Glad you are finding the forum helpful. :)

OutlawZ
05-20-2014, 09:53 AM
The kit worked great. The instructions were very straight forward and easy to understand. Without the forums help I would have never understood the importance of a good test kit.

I have bounced back and forth between the 2 forums and have really got a lot of help and understanding from different people and forum posts.