PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, New Pool, Already been Pool-Stored... Always happy to learn

Skeet Shooter
05-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Hello All.

I am a new pool owner with a brand new pool and brand new to everything here. I sense I will be learning a lot from you all as I expand my knowledge here.

Watermom
05-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the Pool Forum! Lots to learn here. Read a lot on the forum, especially the stickied threads at the top of each subsection and also on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Until your registration is complete, you will need to log out first to be able to see the rest of the forum.

Tell us about your pool. Do you have a good test kit? If not, do yourself a favor and order a Taylor K-2006 or 2006C (better buy). It is not available locally but you can get it through the test kit link below. (Takes you to Amazon.) Having that makes your pool care so much easier.

Skeet Shooter
05-19-2014, 10:44 AM
I filled out something on an external link... I have a few questions about a few of my choices. Come to find out I may have been duped into purchasing Pristine Blue. After reading up on it here it seems to be universally untrusted/hated. Also i get the sense that the local pool store might have had a hand in scamming me there... They told me that my left over still sealed 3" chlorine tabs are no longer any good because they were stored outside in a shed, because they got cold. Well the only option you have is to store them there or in your garage, and unless you have a heated garage, it sounds like you are only left with storing them in your house, and I hear thats a big no-no.

Also I think I might have broken, or maybe it was already broken, my heat pump pool heater. So I suppose once I'm able to I'll put these into a thread somewhere the experts can get to.

Thanks again... I hope i'm able to learn a lot from you all.

PoolDoc
05-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Also i get the sense that the local pool store might have had a hand in scamming me there... They told me that my left over still sealed 3" chlorine tabs are no longer any good because they were stored outside in a shed, because they got cold. the experts can get to.

I usually try to avoid suggesting that pool store staff are DELIBERATELY lying, but in your case, I'll make an exception. Unless your pool guys are total idiots, with IQs at the level of wintertime temps in your area . . . they are liars. I guess that's good info to have, early in your career as a pool owner. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way.

It IS true that trichlor tabs can get nasty, if they winter over: you should always open an old bucket OUTSIDE, and stand up wind when you do. But trichlor tabs ruined by cold weather? Total lying BS! Ironically, using them up in your pool is about the ONLY way you can legally dispose of them, short of hiring a HAZMAT disposal company. And trichlor is NOT 'compatible' with garbage. Hopefully the garbage truck didn't catch on fire as it carried them away!

. . . membership updated.

Skeet Shooter
05-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Well, i'm happy to hear that my suspicions were confirmed. I never threw them out since I figured I would confer with you all on that... After reading everything, I figured they were BS'ing me on that one...

Any how, I believe now that I will not be purchasing any more of that Pristine Blue junk... I have enough Chlorine for now, my next few investments will be some PH up (I think I can use Soda Ash for that according to your Pool School), some Algaecide or similar inhibitor, a good test set, and I believe I will be building a solar roller for my pool after searching on a few other boards.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to enjoying our new pool. I know the fiancee will be happy. Now to not fall into the pitfalls of buying that solar breeze solar skimmer thing... God that thing is cool!

PoolDoc
05-21-2014, 02:47 PM
It's got positive reviews on Amazon:
Solar Breeze Pool Skimmer (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00DF7WCWE/scouscho-20/)
so it may be OK. (I don't really know!)

Skeet Shooter
05-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Yea I saw that as well.. But over $500 for something that is more of a "convenience" than manually skimming my 24' pool? I like to think that I'm young and can find the time to do that my self. Besides, now that I have made the mistake of going With Pristine blue, and now I have to correct it. That's going to cost me some hard earned $$ right there. Since draining and starting all over again is really not an option, and I only put one dose of PB in I think I will have to follow the advice I've been searching here regarding switching back to chlorine. I kind of wish that I had never went to that pool store.

PoolDoc
05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
I wasn't recommending it; I was just thinking of the old adage about 'men & their toys' and thinking that that might be a fairly harmless way to scratch that itch, except for the $500, of course. ;)

Regarding PB => copper stains, so raise your chlorine levels carefully and slowly. Use many small doses rather than large ones. Run your filter 24/7 till you've reached high chlorine levels + high pH (7.8). That will reduce the chance of stains.

Skeet Shooter
05-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks Doc, yea definitely boys and their toys kind of thing... But i already have many expensive hobbies hah. Any how yea with PB, I need to get myself a good test kit... Those strips just don't quite tell the whole story for me. I think I will start doing this tomorrow, since I will have my kit by then, and I'll start raising the chlorine levels... right now my PH and Chlorine level is very low (based on what those strips are saying) so it might take a while to bring up my chlorine and PH levels. But I'll keep at it and start posting results once I have my test kit.

Watermom
05-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Did you order a Taylor K2006?

Also, most of us use 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart) to raise pH instead of soda ash since it will raise pH without affecting TA.

Skeet Shooter
05-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks Watermom for the insight... I was over looking at the BBB method from TroubleFreePool.com Looks like they recommend the same. I will be getting the HTH 6 way tester, as I need to go to Walmart anyway for the Borax, Bleach and, Baking Soda.

PoolDoc
05-21-2014, 03:37 PM
I think I will start doing this tomorrow, since I will have my kit by then, and I'll start raising the chlorine levels... right now

I hope you ordered a K2006 -- as far as we know, you can not get one locally. You CAN get a cheap OTO / phenol red kit, and those are worth having, even if you have a K2006.

Watermom
05-21-2014, 03:46 PM
The 6-way kit can only test chlorine levels up to 5ppm. If you can, you are better off getting a Taylor K2006.

Skeet Shooter
05-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Ah I did not know that... So i guess I will have to Order the Taylor then. Sucks that its 3x the price though...

Watermom
05-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah but definitely worth it. You won't regret it. ;)

Skeet Shooter
05-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi just got my test kit:

pH was less than 7
FC: 1.4PPM
CC: 0
Calcium Hardness: 70ppm
Alkalinity: 40ppm

So I'm currently adding 1 gallon of 8.1% Liquid Bleach to the skimmer every hour till chlorine reaches 5ppm right? As far as PH, that should come up as well, however should i also add Borax as well or should I wait.

Thanks,

Jason

PoolDoc
05-24-2014, 03:45 PM
1. Add borax, a box at a time, till your pH is above 7.0. Allow 1 at least hour of pump ON time, before retesting pH. Add it slowly, to the skimmer, with the pump running.

2. For now, add 1 gallon dose of bleach each evening, directly to the skimmer, but NOT on top of any tabs. (Make sure bleach and tabs NEVER touch!)

3. What is your stabilizer level? If your CYA (stabilizer) is low, chlorine will NOT last through out a day of full sun, no matter how much you add. Instead, if you have swimmers during the day and have low CYA, pour 1/8 to 1/4 gallon doses into the skimmer periodically. This is in ADDITION to your evening gallon. I'd recommend getting a cheap OTO/phenol red kit, for quick testing during the day: add chlorine if you have swimmers and the OTO results aren't medium yellow or darker; skip doses of chlorine test result IS dark yellow.

Skeet Shooter
05-24-2014, 07:58 PM
OK great... So here are my newest test results.

PH is now around 7.4 based on my observations and tests.
I added 2 gallons of bleach, which brought my Chlorine levels up to 15ppm (totally should have waited i know)

my CYA level is too low to register anything on the test. Should I buy Cynuric Acid? Or should I just get TriChlor? Or both?

Thanks

Watermom
05-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Either way works. I typically just buy it separately.

Skeet Shooter
05-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Alright so finally I am in the Ballpark! WOOHOO! Here are my numbers after adding a little more than 4lbs of Stabilizer:

Ph: 7 (Still too low, I'm going to add another box of Borax tonight)
FC: 7.5ppm (Yes still a little high, but thats OK... I will try to maintain a 6ppm based on the Best Guess Chlorine guide.
CC: 0
CYA: 50ppm

Water is perfectly clear, albeit cold at 70*.

Thanks for the help all. I do believe I will need to purchase another filter, because changing a filter takes a while to clean it properly and then cap and uncap the filter. (I currently do not have a shut off valve plumbed in between the inlet to the filter, and for some reason my shut off on the outgoing does not seem to work. When I drain off some of the pool water, I will probably just put new valves in.

Watermom
05-28-2014, 10:37 AM
How did you add your stabilizer? It can take up to a week to dissolve. Your numbers look good! Except for that temp reading! Brrr! ;)

Skeet Shooter
05-28-2014, 11:26 AM
So I read online somewhere about how it takes a long time to get it to dissolve, but somewhere they said add it to a bunch of socks and squeeze it continuously to get it to froth out in milky white. Which it did... So while I was in the pool, I just stood in front of the skimmer and return jet and continuously for about 10-20 minutes squeezed the socks that i put it into and got it all to come out.

I thought that was a pretty fun idea... plus i was able to make some crude jokes at my fiance's expense. lol

Watermom
05-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Yes, you can hang it in an old sock in front of a return jet and squeeze the sock to help it dissolve faster.

(But, for the sake of other people who may be reading this thread, let me clarify ---- if you add the CYA to your skimmer, you should keep your pump running 24/7 for the next four or five days and don't backwash during that time to give the CYA time to dissolve.)

Skeet Shooter
05-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the clarification... I did indeed run the pump 24hrs a day for the past 2 days and now its on a 5 hour schedule... I don't backwash as I have a cartridge filter. Glad I havnt screwed up everything just yet.

Watermom
05-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Glad I havnt screwed up everything just yet.

Nah, you're doing good! ;)

PoolDoc
05-28-2014, 03:14 PM
You mean, another cartridge, right?

Be sure to get a Unicel or Filbur cartridge -- probably NOT available at your local store -- and avoid the Chinese made "replaces Unicel" or "replaces Filbur" cartridges. If you'll post your EXACT filter make/model, I'll see if I can find the right one on Amazon.

Here's the cartridge cleaning guide: http://pool9.net/cart-clean/

Skeet Shooter
05-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Ah ok... glad i checked with you guys... they said they did not have unicel when i went there so i believe I'll be ordering one online... all they carry is Pleatco... I found Unicel 2 packs for roughly $93 on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/CX900RE-Sta-Ri...=unicel+c-8409 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00J0HDQHI/scouscho-20/)

PoolDoc
05-29-2014, 03:06 PM
If you would, use this link:

(2) Unicel C-8409 CX900RE PXC-95 Sta-Rite Hayward Replacement Pool Filters C8409 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00J0HDQHI/scouscho-20/)

It doesn't cost you any more, but that link is tagged with our affiliate account, so the PoolForum gets a small % each time it's used.

Skeet Shooter
05-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Order placed... BTW when can I post and not have to see that "your post will be up pending moderator approval" thing? Just curious.

Also when can I put an avatar up or any of that other stuff?

PoolDoc
05-30-2014, 10:34 AM
I won't be running any upgrades till things slow down after the 4th. Currently, your only option is the $12 subscription.

Sorry.

Watermom
05-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Becoming a subscriber allows you to post without having to go through the moderation queue. It also gives your posts priority attention when the forum gets really busy. You can subscribe by clicking on the tab in my signature if you are interested.

Skeet Shooter
06-02-2014, 01:57 PM
I believe I'll wait... I seem to be throwing a bunch of money at this pool already... haha Anyhow, just as a preliminary I will be doing a write up for a DIY Solar Cover Reel that I found on other forums so I'll be sure to post that up in a few weeks. I think I can build a Reel for my pool for under $200 that is also relatively painless to move and clean.

BTW the new filter works fantastic... The other one i just chucked in the trash... I think after cleaning it 3 times already it must have been a relatively old filter left over from the previous owner, and I'm fairly certain it was a Pleatco.