PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I put dry acid in the skimmer!

jnorris
06-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I didn't know any better, and now I see in several posts that maybe that wasn't the correct way to add it. How bad did I mess up? What should I do now?

Judy

aylad
06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Nothing you can do now, and as long as your filter was running, you're okay. I have added it through my skimmer in the past, too.
Just keep your filter running for a day or two to give it time to circulate in to the pool and you'll be fine.

Janet

jnorris
06-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I feel like such an idiot! What is the correct way? Should I pre-dissolve, and then carefully pour it in front of a return jet? I only added about half what I think I will need, so as not to over-adjust and bring it too low.

I will keep the pump on high for the next several days.

Judy

aylad
06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I feel like such an idiot! What is the correct way? Should I pre-dissolve, and then carefully pour it in front of a return jet? I only added about half what I think I will need, so as not to over-adjust and bring it too low.

Judy

I personally don't have a problem with adding it via the skimmer, in the dry form, as long as you add it slowly. Some on the forum would say that the acidic bolus of water isn't good for your equipment, but if you're adding a little bit at a time, I'm not sure it matters that much. Your other alternatives are to dilute/dissolve it first and pour it into the return, or just pour the powder in front of the return--either way you take a pretty good chance of the acid going to the bottom of your pool and sitting there, which is NOT good.
If you're going to dissolve it and pour it in, why not just use muriatic acid, which is already liquid, is generally cheaper, and takes less to do the same job?

Janet

jnorris
06-05-2006, 06:51 PM
If you're going to dissolve it and pour it in, why not just use muriatic acid, which is already liquid, is generally cheaper, and takes less to do the same job?

Janet

I was going to use muriatic acid, but could not find it quickly at the hardware store, so just grabbed the dry acid. The muriatic acid was not with the pool chemicals, do I find it with the cleaning supplies? And you are correct, using the muriatic acid would save a step, and after I use up the dry acid I bought, I will buy muriatic acid and add it slowly in front of a return jet from now on when I need it.

Thanks so much for the quick response!

Judy

waterbear
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
The acid should not be a problem if you have a sand or DE filter. If you have a cartridge filter it might be a good idea to inspect the cartridge. If the end caps are mushy or starting to break down then you should replace the cartridge.

jnorris
06-05-2006, 08:03 PM
The acid should not be a problem if you have a sand or DE filter. If you have a cartridge filter it might be a good idea to inspect the cartridge. If the end caps are mushy or starting to break down then you should replace the cartridge.

Nope, it's a sand filter. Should I backwash, or maybe, make sure I DON'T backwash for a while?

Judy

salinda
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
I was going to use muriatic acid, but could not find it quickly at the hardware store, so just grabbed the dry acid. The muriatic acid was not with the pool chemicals, do I find it with the cleaning supplies?

Judy

You can find muriatic acid at the paint department. It is used for surface preparation I believe. I find it is just as cheap at Leslie's, but you have to ask for it because they keep it in back.

mwsmith2
06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Nope, it's a sand filter. Should I backwash, or maybe, make sure I DON'T backwash for a while?

Judy

If you have a sand filter you are fine. Nothing special to do at this point.

Michael