PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine and PH too low

sjeffers01
05-17-2014, 09:27 PM
I just received the Taylor K2006 test kit I purchased from Amazon (via link). My chlorine test results were 1.0 ppm FC and .4 ppm CC. I have a Pentair Rainbow 320 chlorinator/bromine feeder filled with 3" stabilizing chlorinating tablets. The chlorinator is primed and the tablets are wet. I took a hammer to a 3" tablet and used the broken chunks in two floaters. I am the only person who uses the pool and I always take a shower and wash my swimsuit afterwards. I did the water test with the ¾ gal bucket of water and ¼ cup of bleach and the water remained clear. I shocked the pool when I first filled it. After I shocked the pool the chlorine was 1 ppm, and PH 7.2 using the old test kit. I put in 1 ½ cups liquid bleach at dusk every day. The chlorine dropped to 6.8 ppm and so did the PH. I started adding 1 1/2 cups of Borax daily later and changed it to 2 cups yesterday. I put the Borax in the skimmer box and watch it to make sure it gets sucked into the pump. I increased the bleach to 2 cups yesterday too. I just added a solar cover reel and solar cover a couple of days ago. I reel in the solar cover when I go swimming and pull it back out to cover the pool after I’m done. So the solar cover is being used 22 hours. It has been in the 70s to 80s until a few days ago when it went up to 100 the last couple of days. The water temperature is 84 today and it is around 100 with some wind. I used the Taylor K2006 test kit today and my PH test result read 7.2 ppm and it took 1 drop of the R-0006 to bring it up to 7.4 ppm. According to the table in Taylors Instructions, for 8190 gals, I need 4.91 or 5 teaspoons of Sodium Ash. How much Borax should I use to equal 5 teaspoons of sodium ash? or Is the amount of Borax unrelated to the amount of sodium ash? Should I continue to add 2 cups of bleach or add more to increase the chlorine ppms?
I completed the form but my g-mail account says I need permission to access. I don’t know how to change permission on Google so I can see the recommended doses for my pool. Any idea how to fix it?
Your assistance is appreciated.

sjeffers01
05-18-2014, 06:32 PM
I tested the water and the PH 7.4 and free chlorine 2 ppm. The water is clear and doesn't sting your eyes. I think I figured out the Google problem. No need to respond. Thank you anyway.

Watermom
05-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Do you know what your CYA reading is? By the way, the Taylor K2006 is great. The instruction book that comes with it is NOT. Just ignore it and use the info from the forum instead.

By the way, I'm envious of your water temp!

sjeffers01
05-23-2014, 10:30 PM
My CYA is 0. I finally figured out my problem with low FC 1 ppm and CC .4 ppm, the Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorine feeder wasn't hooked up properly. There was no chorine control valve to adjust the flow from the chlorinator. There is supposed to be a hose at the bottom of the tee that connects to the bottom of the chlorinator. I ordered the parts. In the meantime, I am adding bleach every evening about 4 cups and my FC 2 ppm and CC 0 ppm. My PH is 7.4. After I fix the feeder, I will update this thread.

PoolDoc
05-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Sounds like you're on the right track.

sjeffers01
05-25-2014, 11:54 PM
My pool water is really clean and really clear. You can even see the left over scale on the bottom of the pool. No slime building on walls and when I sweep the bottom it doesn't get cloudy. The pool pump cleans the bottom so well that there is hardly any debris. I use the pool an hour a day and keep the solar cover on the rest of the time.