PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old sand filter

GaryK
05-16-2014, 05:15 PM
My Hayward S-244T sand filter will be celebrating its 16th birthday this summer. I've never replaced or cleaned the sand since it was installed, other than pouring some filter cleaner in the skimmer 2 years ago. It works great, gets the water nice and clear. But, I need to replace my heater, and thought that given the filter's age it might make sense to replace them both at once.

I've read opinions regarding sand filters online ranging from "the older the sand the better it cleans" to "you should open the filter and clean the sand every year". Any advice on which course of action to take would be greatly appreciated:

1. Get a new filter. I was thinking of a Pentair TR60 Triton II with ClearPro Technology, or possibly switching to a cartridge filter (I know there are many threads comparing filter types)
2. Keep the filter, replace the sand.
3. It ain't broke, so don't fix it.

Other pertinent info: I replaced the multiport a couple of years ago, so that should have some life left. I live in Long Island, NY, so the pool season is fairly short, so maybe 16 years isn't that old? Pool is a 20K IG, with a Pool Pilot SWG.

CarlD
05-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Go with # 3! Sand filters ONLY need to replaced if the case splits or the pump is up-sized and too big for the filter. Otherwise, if the case is sound, you can replace the laterals, the sand, the multiport, even the drain plug!

PoolDoc
05-17-2014, 08:50 AM
What Carl said . . .

There is NO 'new' technology of any significance with respect to sand filters. There are filters I like better than that Hayward model, but only because they are arranged so they have a deeper sand bed. However, if yours works . . . it works. 'Nuff said.

GaryK
05-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think I will take your advice and keep the filter. How do I know if the sand needs to be replaced? It's so old, should I just go ahead and replace it? I saw plenty of videos on youtube showing how to vacuum out the sand, doesn't look too hard, as long as you are careful?

PoolDoc
05-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Yeah. It's easy to get it out.

Not! 300 pounds of wet sand is a pain to mess with! Plus, on a filter of that age, the chances of cracking a lateral (separate the water from the sand at the bottom of the filter) is very high.

If the filter is keeping the water clear, it's working! Don't fix it!

If you want to test it, you can get some DE filter powder and add a couple of cups to the skimmer. If powder shoots back into the pool, via one of the returns, the filter needs service.

Watermom
05-17-2014, 06:05 PM
And, if the white powder does NOT shoot out and your filter is working, you'll see a pretty rapid and significant increase in your filter pressure and will need to backwash the filter.

PoolDoc
05-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Gary, your email is bouncing. Send me an alternate address at poolforum@gmail.com, or edit it by going here, while you are logged in: http://pool9.net/edit-email/