PDA

View Full Version : Pool Overhaul

dbutsack
05-16-2014, 11:35 AM
I would like to put a plan in place so that as my pool equipment either needs to be maintained or replace I can do so in a proper and economical manner.

I have the following configuration:
40,000 Gallon Rectangular Gunite Pool
Hayward Aquarite SWG with T-15 Cell
Hayward Ozonator
Hayward 525 SF Swim Clear Cartridge filter
Hayward TriStar 2.7 THP (2.0 FRHP/1.35 SF) Variable Speed Pump with Hayward VS Controller
2 Inch Plumbing
2 Fountains (only used when trying to cool pool)
2 Main Drains
2 Skimmers
8 Returns
Approximately 60 feet of head
No Heater
2 Hayward Color Logic LED Lights
Hayward Phantom Pressure Cleaner and Booster Pump
Pool's Open from April to October
Automatic Pool Cover

Since the pool's install, I have already replaced the pump seals on the Booster Pump twice. I now keep a spare motor on hand and swap it when it needs repair. My ColorLogic lights appear to be blown, I'll know for sure once my electrician installs Surge Protection which the PB never told me about. I would like to put in Pentair LED's because they are serviceable (but I do have Hayward Niche's (assuming that's what PB used). My Cleaner barely runs (plenty of pressure) but it just move like an old dog and its guts, hoses, and tail have all been replaced once since the pool was built in 2009. I've clean my cartridges 2 times a year (the bolt on cleaner is a pain to unwind)..My pool is clear and clean but I think it doesn't always sparkle and i think it could be better. I have replaced the Control Unit of my Pump once (expensive). Now my main pump motor is squealing like a stuck pig. The company that normally repairs my motor thinks I'm better off getting a new motor. lastly, I run my VSP on low 24 hours a day and only turn it on high occasionally to operate fountains to cool pool in hot summer.

I'm fearful of another controller being blown after i replace the Variable Speed Motor and I feel I can lower my maintenance cost by installing a 2 speed pump into my existing Wethead. Then I can get a switch (or motor with one built in) and toggle to high speed when needed.

What size replacement motor do I need? AM I better off replacing whole pump instead? Can I use the Pentair Lights in the Hayward Niches? If I switch to a Pentair Sand Filter, which size and do I need high flow rate or normal flow rate? Any suggestions on cleaner replacements? I open to other suggestions as well.

Thank you - this forum has been very helpfull.

CarlD
05-17-2014, 10:26 PM
That's an awful lot of failures on such a pool. I'll let those more knowledgeable of your equipment and configuration try to help. I know nothing about booster pump-based pressure cleaners or automatic pool covers. I can tell you your Ozonator is probably a waste of money. If you are subject to lots of thunderstorms you would do better to go to a simple 2 speed pump that can have the speed remotely controlled. The advantage of a VS over a 2speed is, IMHO, not justified by the added cost AND added risk from lightning surges.

PoolDoc
05-19-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't know why you've had such a high failure rate, but as I mentioned in your other thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/23282), I suspect voltage surges. Other electrical problems are possible causes, as well. You need to resolve these, BEFORE you start buying new equipment. There's no point to getting new gear, and then frying it, too.

1. Did you order the surge protectors I listed? You should install those BEFORE you make any changes. I assume the image below is your pool?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fCtmou59myQ/U3pDrBHs3vI/AAAAAAAAHDI/6yq6oLmoM44/s467/gmap.jpg

Your location alone is a good reason for installing these. Rural areas like your are prone BOTH to voltage surges, and voltage fluctuations. The surge protectors will held with the surges and nearby lighting (but NOT direct lighting that strikes within 200 - 300 yards of your property). But they won't help with voltage fluctuations.

Trying to resolve this will be time-consuming on my part, and even more time-consuming on yours. But if you are willing to go after it, get the gear you need (accurate digital voltmeter, to start) AND provide photos, I'll help you. Once we get to the sizing part, I'll need the photos, anyhow.

Here's an outline of what's involved:

1. Resolve surge issues. (Install protection)

2. Validate electrical system AND grounds. (Check appropriately sized wiring, for voltage drops from house to pool, good grounds, and so on. Poor grounds can magnify the effect of any transient surges, and undersized service wiring can create damaging low voltage.)

3. Check for voltage fluctuations on incoming power. (Rural power is FREQUENTLY low in quality; this can kill electronics and overload electromechanical gear.)

4. Analyze pool system and piping.

5. Make changes if needed.

6. Select gear to replace.

7. Purchase and install.

I'll respond to your email with a photo list.

By the way, this Fluke 117 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000O3LUEI/scouscho-20/) is probably the meter you'll need, along with these leads (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002SRINW/scouscho-20/), these alligator clips (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HBDWUW/scouscho-20/), and these probes (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000NI695Y/scouscho-20/). This is industrial quality gear that you can easily resell when your done, if you don't want to keep them. But I didn't see less-expensive reliable gear that can be used for voltage recording. (I almost cried when my 20+ year old Fluke died last year, so ask me about re-sale first!)

Please understand that if you DO find serious power fluctuations your options are somewhat limited: (1) fight with your power company till they agree to put recorders on your service entrance and/or (2) have buck/boost transformers installed (expensive!).

And here's what you'll do (among other things) to check your power:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-reyPnZQ7Vus/U3pLL48srbI/AAAAAAAAHDc/QVflJf5WDZU/s763/Fluke%2520117%2520recording.jpg

You need to read it, and make sure you're up for this.

dbutsack
05-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Thank you. I am installing the surge protectors. I believe i will only need four, one for SWG and one for each pool pump, and one for the lights. My motor repairs thus far have been seal and bearing related not electrical. My electrical failures are my LED lights which worked until i flicked the circuit breaker several times trying to start my stuck main motor, during one of those energizes, my lights flashed then stopped working and my VSP control unit (which most likely was a lighting strike since i don't have the surge suppressors on. I have an electrician coming to do some metering tests on the pool equipment. For the 12 years we lived at the property, we've had excellent electric service with virtually no electronics getting fried other than the VSD Controller. Please know my pool is open and running just very loudly.