PDA

View Full Version : Trouble w/ vacuum head?

Earl J
05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
When I try vacuuming with triangle shaped vacuum head, it won't sink to bottom as it normally does. I have to hold it down on bottom. If I release it; it rises to top..Seems like there's enough suction...Any ideas? thx

CarlD
05-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Are you purging your vacuum hose of air COMPLETELY before plugging it into the skimmer? You hold it over the return to push all the air out, and move it underwater to the skimmer.

Earl J
05-18-2014, 06:26 AM
Carl, yes I've done that...I actually think the head is not heavy enough..Trying to find a way to add weight or buy another head...

CarlD
05-18-2014, 07:57 AM
I must admit I'm having a hard time picturing it. Any head should sink and air must be captured somewhere that you're not purging. You are not by some chance using a "floating hose"--my Polaris 165 has one (haven't used the Polaris in years). Do NOT add lead weights to the head, though a small plastic-covered free weight or dumbbell could be zip-tied to it...just a thought. I wouldn't use an uncovered metal free weight though.

Earl J
05-18-2014, 12:32 PM
I tried pushing head down to bottom with just pole attached (no hose)...When I release, it rises back to top...That's why I suspect the prob is with head....It looks like a Hayward; but it's not...I purchased it at the end of last season..This is the first time using it... Shoulda bought a HAYWARD

Earl J
05-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Ok...Here's what I did: Took a sandwich bag and placed 4 oz sinker from my fishing tackle box and vinyl taped it to base of pole...Problem solved...Just need to check bag from time to time.

Watermom
05-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks for coming back and letting us know. That may be very helpful info for someone else. :)

CarlD
05-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah, if that works, great! You just want to change the bag if you see it leaking--you do NOT want lead in your pool! (that's why I suggested a small plastic covered dumbbell. If it leaks, it's only iron, not lead.)