PDA

View Full Version : New post for conditioner gone dansdad

dansdad
05-14-2014, 04:16 PM
This is a new post as Big Dave asked me to clear up the mess I left on the original conditioner gone. Here are my reading and pool products on hand
cl 3.2
ph7.5
ta 80
ch 90
cya 40

I have several bags of 73% cal hypo
3 gallon jugs of bleach and 1 full quart of 60% polyquat

The pool looks great after I threw in a bag of 73% cal hypo last night. I have one question since I have a fiberglass pool is calcium hardness an issue? Its very low right now. Thanks Dave

BigDave
05-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Looks pretty good.
Keep the FC above 3. Do you have any CC?
Cal-hypo is fine, you can use it for chlorine for a while if you want. Every pound you use will raise CH by little less than 5. It will also raise FC by more than 6 so maybe half pound doses.
You're right no need to sweat the CH with a fiberglass pool until it gets above 300 - it it gets too high it can cause cloudiness.

How are you adding the cal-hypo?

dansdad
05-15-2014, 01:46 PM
I bought the bags in one pound increments. Its not what I would normally use as they are labeled as shock and I normally add chlorine to shock the pool. Liquid as in bleach. And no CH. Thanks much for getting back

BigDave
05-15-2014, 03:13 PM
It doesn't really matter that the bag says shock. Around here we like to say "Shock is a verb not a noun". It's calcium hypochlorite and it's a sourece of chlorine like any other. It will raise CH but you've got plenty of headroom there.

You're right, bleach (Liquid Chlorine) is preferred as the chlorine source without side effects.

The CYA may be a little low - depends on shade, etc. You might want to bump it up if you find FC won't hold for a day.

dansdad
05-15-2014, 10:53 PM
I looked at bleach my wife buys for one dollar a gallon and I'm going to do the bucket test to see what comes out and I noticed the calculator has a place to put in very low bleach so I'm going to find out the best. It just started warming up here so I have time before it really gets hot. Really appreciate the help and support guys like you and other moderators give all of us to keep our pools looking sharp. Thanks again. I will repost after I test the dollar store bleach thank you