PDA

View Full Version : Should I drain excess rain water?

columbusdan
05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
We have been getting a lot of rain around here lately. I have a brand new liner in my IG pool. The water level right now is just above the top of the skimmer. I am not worried about the pool overflowing, as there is a drain in the concrete that surrounds the pool. However, I was wondering if the water level gets to where the liner fits into place at the top of the pool, is it possible for the water to get down behind the liner? Or for other reasons, should I drain some water off? My filter system is in my house, so while I can drain water that way, it has to be slow because the house drain near the pump cannot take a ton of water at once, so I would have to use a pump that I drop into the pool. Any advice appreciated.

Watermom
05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Yes, you need to drain some water. If the water gets to the top of the skimmer, then you skimmer won't work.

columbusdan
05-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks...I realize the skimmer won't work, I was more worried about the liner/coping. It will be a temporary issue as kids splashing, evaporation, etc will lower it and if that doesn't get it to skimmer level, I will eventually pump it off. Just sometimes all this rain happens during a period where I don't have the time to pump/siphon out the excess.