PDA

View Full Version : Green algae pool turned brown as expected...

Ron_M
05-12-2014, 09:29 PM
2 years ago pool had green algae in the deep end when we opened it up that spread very quickly. Pool guy who I trust gave my wife some additive that he said would turn the water a disgusting brown (which it did) and then 48 hours later it started to clear up. I believe I used some floc over the next week to get it clear.

This year pool starts off worst then it did 2 years ago. Local pool place closed down and no other pool people know what I'm talking about.

Any idea what that product was? It was a liquid that was in the same shape (quart) as an algaecide...

PoolDoc
05-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Sounds like it may have been a copper algaecide. They work, but we avoid them because of all the potential side effects.

Instead, go out (tonight if you can) and get PLAIN 8% bleach, 6 gallons for every 10,000 gallons of water in your pool. Add 1/2 tonight (or tomorrow PM), and 1/2 the following PM. (This assumes you do NOT have a copper, 'mineral', or other heavy metal based treatment system.)

Also get a cheap OTO / phenol red test kit. The 2nd evening, test the pool BEFORE adding the 2nd dose of bleach, and report the results here.

As always, when cleaning up:

1. Remove all physical debris (leaves, sticks seeds).
2. Run pump 24/7. (Low is fine with a 2 speed -- but not super-low, if you have a VS pump).
3. Remove all tablets, turn off any feeders or salt systems.
4. Add ONLY chlorine and any acid or base needed to adjust the pH to between 7.0 and 8.0
5. Brush / sweep any algae piles or layers ONLY after adding a large dose of chlorine.
6. Order a K2006, so we can get accurate test results => http://pool9.net/testkits/