PDA

View Full Version : Opening pool (or soon) need thoughts please

dansdad
05-07-2014, 11:47 PM
I checked my levels to help me get started .2 cl.. 8.2 ph alky 30, absolutely no cya. I bought a gallon of instant conditioner which I haven't used yet, but I did put in a bottle of bleach a while ago and am waiting to see how much difference. Dont know if I should put in conditioner of not. Did what the calculator said as far as the cl said, but now Im waiting to see what the bleach did. Thanks Dave

Watermom
05-08-2014, 09:09 AM
You can go ahead and use the conditioner. (I assume 'instant' conditioner is liquid?) Your pH is also too high. You can use some muriatic acid to lower it some but please read the tab in my signature about using muriatic acid safely. Also, you'll want to add some baking soda to bring your TA up. Aim for 80-100.

dansdad
05-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks Watermom, I was going to do it step by step, first acid for the ph and then the soda check levels again and then add conditioner, btw still love the puppies, I know they are larger now BUT I will continue to think of them as little Dave

Watermom
05-08-2014, 12:26 PM
btw still love the puppies, I know they are larger now BUT I will continue to think of them as little Dave
They recently turned 3! Hard to believe we have had them that long. But, we still call them the puppies when referring to them to distinguish them from our other golden retriever girl who turned 10 a couple of days ago. Once I get them bathed and cleaned up, maybe I'll post an updated picture of them. But, I'll probably still keep my little puppy avatar! ;)

dansdad
05-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Yeah sis' golden Max is about 5 just a baby still and VERY SPOILED. BTW I added the bleach, muriatic, and baking soda. I have my liquid conditioner but m waiting for another reading before I add. Its windy and cool so I'm not worried about the bleach being burned off as yet, I just have to know how much to put in. Would just putting in a whole gallon now make any difference? My cl is 3.0

Watermom
05-08-2014, 03:06 PM
What is the condition of the water? Clear? Green? Cloudy?

In your pool, each quart of 8.25% bleach will add about 1.6ppm of chlorine.

dansdad
05-08-2014, 03:57 PM
pool is clear, Watermom, but I just checked my cya and nothing. Since the pool is fiberglass I don't usually do a calcium hardness. Calculator doesn't show I need borax so that's ok. Thanks so much for all the advice and info

Watermom
05-08-2014, 05:08 PM
You are welcome. :)