PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed Pump Replacement

dbutsack
05-07-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a 22 X 45 Gunite Rectangular Pool in PA. I have already replaced my Hayward TriStar Variables Speed Controller to operate my 3 Phase 3 HP Hayward Variable Speed Pump, and now I need a motor repair. I have 8 returns, 2 skimmers, all with 2.5 Outside diameter plumbing which makes me think it's actual 2 Inches inside. I also have a booster pump for my Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner. There is no automation in this pool. I run it 24 hours a day on low speed and manually turn it to high to super chlorinate with Hayward SWG after high use or when running pool cleaner. I have a 55sf Hayward Cartridge Filter, Ozone System, and SWG My pump is approximately 36 feet from pool's edge and I believe I have approximately 40,000 gallons.

So far most equipment in the pool has failed at least once. So I'm considering changing to newer models of better equipment as my current equipment fails. I'll be replacing Hayward SWG and Hayward LED Lights this season as well.

What size pump do I really need? I have no problem putting in a 2 speed high efficient pump with simplified control unit. And what pumps are recommended?

Thank You

PoolDoc
05-12-2014, 02:26 PM
The most effective pump size is going to be determined by your filter and piping. As you suspected, 2" S40 PVC is 2.5" OD, and is usually limited to 100 GPM or less.

Cartridge filters are operated at 0.3 to 1.0 GPM per sft, but it's only in arid regions with little debris falling into the pool that the higher flow rates work out well. It's unlikely you have a 55 sft filter, but if you really do, it needs to be replaced. Find the actual make / model numbers and post those.

I'm not sure why you've lost equipment in the way you describe. If the failures are electrical, you probably need to step up the quality of your grounding and bonding AND add surge protection.

Ozone, on outdoor pools, is useless at best, and harmful at worst. Many systems produce excessive and continuous aeration resulting in lost of carbonate alkalinity and subsequent plaster damage.

If you want to look at a complete system change out, the limiting factor is piping. Multiple pictures are the best way to give us that info: post the pictures on Photobucket, Flickr or Picasa, and link to them OR send them to poolforum@gmail.com

. .. membership upgraded.

dbutsack
05-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Thank you. It is a Hayward Swim and Clear 550 SF Cartridge Filter. They "threw" the ozonator in. I don't run it much at all since I have an automatic pool cover and i know the ozone can deteriorate the cover threads. Surge Protection? It would have been for the pool builders to suggest that. I'll have to look into that right away.

PoolDoc
05-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah, we agree with the "throwing" part, about ozonators; we just differ with your builder about where they should be 'thrown'! ;)

A 550sft filter is much more in line with your pool's size. Just to verify, you have the C5030 shown here: http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Ground-Pool-Filters-Cartridge-Filter-SwimClear-_10201_10551_13505_-1_14001__I.htm ?

Regarding equipment, the consensus here is that either the AutoPilot or Goldline (Hayward) SWCG's are to be preferred. I'm not sure that we have enough info to chose between the Hayward and Pentair VS pumps, other than recommend surge protection . . . LOTS of surge protection. Intermatic has come out with a protector that is listed for pools and spas, unlike many of industrial protectors:
Intermatic PS3000 Pool and Spa Surge Protective Device (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00I506Z3S/scouscho-20/)

I had tried to find some appropriate protectors, but kept running into "I'm not sure; I'll check and get back to you" when I asked if a particular protector was listed for pools. This one is, and comes with a $7,500 warranty on protected equipment. BUT, I have not yet read the warranty, which I'm sure has lots of 'weasel' language: I wouldn't expect to cover more than 1/2 the cost of replacement via the warranty. But, hopefully, if you install 1 or 2 of these, you won't need the warranty. (The protectors themselves are NOT warrantied but are rather intended to 'die first'.)