PDA

View Full Version : Crack in new Poolcrete

Sandersa
05-05-2014, 11:07 PM
We are building a new pool (20x40 lagoon shape) and after the pool create was installed we had several days of heavy rain. It seems that the rain sitting on the poolcrete has caused a large crack on the slope, about 6feet long and maybe 2cm wide. It seems that water has gotten beneath the crack and is causing some shifting on the slope in that area.

I am very concerned about the crack and water beneath and wonder if once it dries will the problem be gone. The PB will fix the crack before the liner install later this week or next. There is no ground water present, I believe it is all from the rain.

Thanks for any help or advice! I am sure I will be back soon with tons of questions about pool operations!

PoolDoc
05-08-2014, 12:33 AM
I assume you are talking about a vinyl pool? And "pool crete" is the soft cement / vermiculite base?

A 6 ft by 1 inch crack ANYWHERE in a pool under construction is a good reason for concern. I'm not a pool builder, and don't have the experience to judge what you can 'get away with' and what issues are 'show stoppers'. But I don't understand why rain would make the pool base crack, UNLESS the dirt underneath moved. But if THAT happened you have real problems.

I think the best chance is to carefully question the builder, and ask him to explain EXACTLY what happened, and why. If necessary dig down a bit, and verify that he's right.

. . . membership upgraded.