PDA

View Full Version : Pool opening chemicals

rardon74
05-01-2014, 09:17 AM
I have an inground 20,000 gallon chlorine pool with a liner. The company that is opening my pool does not add any chemicals when the open it. They have a list of chemicals to add on a schedule of the days after it is opened. I am trying to verify if I really need to add any of these chemicals.
Day 1 Natural Chemistry Purge thru the skimmer
Day 2 BioGuard tonic thru the skimmer
Day 3 BioGuard scale inhibitor
Day 5 Double shock and add chlorine to the chlorinator
Day 6 Algaecide

PoolDoc
05-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Nope.

Well, some of them are probably OK. But the purpose of those elaborate descriptions is deceptive marketing.

"Bioguard tonic"? Seriously? Just wait till they come out with "Enhanced All-Natural Swimming Pool Vitamins"! ;)

Sheesh!

Bioguard dealers are among the most knowledgeable and highly trained . . . at selling you expensive pool products you don't need, or overpriced pool products you can buy at Walmart for 1/3 the Bioguard price!

Here's how you escape:

1. Go buy a cheap local (Walmart) OTO/phenol red test kit (yellow / red drops).

2. While you are there, pick up 10 gallons of PLAIN 8% store brand bleach, 3 boxes of 20 Mule Team borax, a pair of safety glasses (check hunting / fishing section), and 2 pair of gloves (kitchen gloves are fine).

3. Go home,
++ test your pool (covered or not),
++ write down the results,
++ write down your filter make/model, your pump make/model (PUMP, not electric motor mounted on pump -- the labels are usually separate).
++ Post all that info here. If you are using a salt system or any sort of feeder or device, include that info, too.
++ If at all possible, take pictures of your pool, pump, filter, and any feeder. Post THOSE here, using Photobucket, Flickr, Picasa, etc or email them to me at poolforum@gmail.com

4. Order a K2006 test kit -- links to Amazon in my blue signature box.

5. When you post the pool info, tell us whether the pool is open or not, and what the water looks like.

6. If the pool is already open, begin adding 2 gallons of the bleach to the pool each EVENING. Add the bleach directly to the skimmer. BUT . . . if you have used any copper products, or have any 'mineral' devices skip the bleach. Instead, add two quarts of 60% polyquat to the skimmer. See poolsolutions.com/polyquat.html for more info.

7. If the pool has any HINT of green or slime (feel sides, if vinyl pool), add 4 gallons of bleach, instead of 2.

rardon74
05-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks, I thought that was a scam. I never tried the bleach before. I will test it today. My opening is not scheduled until Wednesday.