PDA

View Full Version : Need tips for replacing IG vinyl liner

Zaphod
03-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Hello, all:

I have an IG, 16X40 Lazy-L pool. I'm taking bids to replace the 13-year-old vinyl liner. The pool has been closed since November.

Any tips or suggestions as I search for bids? What questions should I ask? What things should I expect the installer to do? What range should I expect the quotes to come in at (this is in metro Atlanta)?

Thanks,

Zaphod

rrwcm
03-30-2006, 08:58 PM
I live in Athens, GA and just replace my liner. My pool is 18x36 in-ground. I decided to use the lighter weight liner due to the 90 degree corners in my pool ( the lighter liner "hugs" the corners better). I also added wall foam as my pool did not have this installed. If I had to do it over I would have added the wall foam on the sloped surfaces as well. I also had a "liner lock" installed all around the pool. The color is a deep blue pattern on the floor and the walls (the style was called "Cambridge"). I paid $2400 for all of this. I am very happy with the result.

Zaphod
04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
I got my first estimate: It was $3,200 to replace/install the liner and put in new faceplates. He says the job should take about 3-4 days — including about 18 hours to refill the pool.

The installer talked about 30 mil vs. 27 mil thickness. Is there a performance difference?

Also, how should I coordinate the installation of the new liner with the opening of the pool? After the liner goes in, turn on the circulation system and balance the water?

Thanks,

Z

Waterworks
04-10-2006, 05:45 PM
We replaced a 16' X 40' L shaped liner recently. The price was $3700 CAD. This included repairing quite a few holes in the floor of the pool, saving the existing pool water in 2 large 'quick-set' pools, measuring and replacing the liner, new face plates, liner-lock and balancing chemicals if needed. I hope that helps you.

Many '30 mil.' liners are actually 28 mil. thick. 27 and 30 mil liners are so close that you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Once the liner is installed, hook up your plumbing, shock the pool, balance the water and you're all set.

Brad
www.waterworkspools.com

Zaphod
04-13-2006, 09:00 PM
I've gotten three estimates:

$2,200

$2,800

$3,200

All are pretty much the same: they offer to repair any damage underneath the liner as well as replace wall foam and faceplates. I'm leaning toward the middle bid, which includes a 1-year labor warranty from the local, family-owned company and a 15-year warranty on defects to the 30 mil liner by the manufacturer. The installers are a two-man team employed by the company.

The company says the procedure will take about three days - not including the 21 days it takes for the custom-ordered liner to arrive.

I appreciate all the help.

Z