PDA

View Full Version : Filter/back washing question

Themadczar
04-27-2014, 11:27 AM
This is not an urgent issue, but last year it was suggested to me that I should only backwash my filter when the pressure rises 5psi above normal (except for algae cleanup or other out-of-ordinary measures). So I never backwashed after about mid-way through last season. After opening yesterday and vacuuming quite a bit of dirt/sediment from the bottom, my filter is still humming along at the usual 14-16psi. I know that it was explained that some dirt actually helps the filter function, and nothing was getting back into the pool from the returns, but I simply don't understand how the filter could take that much dirt without the psi increasing. Any thoughts?

PoolDoc
04-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Dirt loads vary tremendously from one pool to the next. Lightly used pools out west commonly run for 3 months with no filter maintenance, so long as there's no overhanging vegetation, and no wind blown dirt. By contrast, moderately used pools in my area -- where bugs, leaves, and thunderstorms abound -- weekly backwashing is more the norm.

That said, I would recommend the DE test -- 2 - 3 cups of DE powder in the skimmer with the pump running -- to check your filter. If no DE comes out into the pool via the returns, your filter is working properly.

And, I'd recommend backwashing at least 3x per season, regardless: 1x on opening; 1x mid-season, and 1x before closing.