PDA

View Full Version : Spring start up problems with algae and filter

dncellis2
04-27-2014, 08:58 AM
All of my numbers appear to be okay on my test strip and oto test kit but I have dead algea(white) and green algea so bad that you cant see over a foot in my 26 foot X 52 inch round pool. I have cartridge filter. I wonder if sand would work better or faster in filtering my pool. This is my 4th year fighting algea!!! Last year, the ONLY way for me to rid my pool of algea was to floc almost every other day. Its like my filter will have nothing to do with algea! Any reply is already greatly appreciated. Best regards,Barry.

Watermom
04-27-2014, 09:29 AM
The first advice I will give you is that you need to get a good kit. Test strips aren't gonna work for you and although useful at times, an OTO kit isn't going to give you enough information to clean up your pool. The kit we recommend is the Taylor K2006 o 2006C (better buy) that you can get through the link in my signature below. Do yourself a favor, and get that kit. It will make your life much easier.

As far as sand vs. cartridge, you'll hear pluses and minuses on both depending on who you ask. But, either way, you have to kill the algae and in order for us to advise you of the best way to do that, we need some good testing numbers.
Welcome to the Pool Forum!

dncellis2
04-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Thank you very much. Ill do just that.( test kit) Thanks again. Barry.

Watermom
04-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Good decision. When you get it, post some numbers and we'll help you go from there! Glad to have you join us on the forum!

PoolDoc
04-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Meanwhile:

1. Remove your cartridge from the filter. Leave it out till the algae is all dead.
2. Begin adding 3 gallons of PLAIN 8% household bleach each evening. Brush the pool bottom after adding bleach.
3. Inspect the cartridge; there's a high chance it needs to be replaced. If the material is no longer crisp and stiff, or if more than 1/4 of the pleats have 'clumped' together, it needs to be replaced. Use ONLY an OEM, or Filbur or Unicel brand replacement. Post your exact make / model of filter, and we'll try to help you find the cartridge.
4. Read the cartridge care 'sticky' thread: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/18044
5. Wash off your existing cartridge and begin using it, once all the algae is dead -- pool water should be gray or brown, with no green.

With a good quality cartridge -- which, as far as we can tell, excludes all Asian made cartridges -- you should be able to filter DEAD algae; no filter removes live algae effectively. If your filter is severely undersized, it may be best to floc the algae -- again, once it's dead -- and then vacuum it out. After that, you'll want to focus on preventing recurrences.

dncellis2
04-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Meanwhile:

1. Remove your cartridge from the filter. Leave it out till the algae is all dead.
2. Begin adding 3 gallons of PLAIN 8% household bleach each evening. Brush the pool bottom after adding bleach.
3. Inspect the cartridge; there's a high chance it needs to be replaced. If the material is no longer crisp and stiff, or if more than 1/4 of the pleats have 'clumped' together, it needs to be replaced. Use ONLY an OEM, or Filbur or Unicel brand replacement. Post your exact make / model of filter, and we'll try to help you find the cartridge.
4. Read the cartridge care 'sticky' thread: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/18044
5. Wash off your existing cartridge and begin using it, once all the algae is dead -- pool water should be gray or brown, with no green.

With a good quality cartridge -- which, as far as we can tell, excludes all Asian made cartridges -- you should be able to filter DEAD algae; no filter removes live algae effectively. If your filter is severely undersized, it may be best to floc the algae -- again, once it's dead -- and then vacuum it out. After that, you'll want to focus on preventing recurrences.

Hello and thanks for the above extra advise.

I added 3 gallons of liquid pool shock (10%) ,that I bought at a local hardware store for $2.50 a gallon,this morning after I read your post. I'm pleased to say that now (8 hrs. later) the water is light blue and extremely cloudy with dead algae. I also scrubbed the walls and floor as you stated. I know I should have waited till evening to add this shock but I was just to anxious to try it. I have been shocking it but not this extreme.(The skys are cloudy today anyway)

I have done all five steps above and my pool IS coming around already. My pool is 26' X 54" A.G.round and holds approximately 15,000 gallons of water. The pump has 2000 GPH and is attached directly to the skimmer on the bottom.The cartridge sets inside the skimmer. From my manual, my filter system is a Pro-Series -SFS2000.Pump type- F2000C. And yes, I use Intex type A or C cartridge. In the past seasons, I rotate 6 to 8 of these during swim time and the pump runs 90% of the time. Usually Ill have a filter or two (because I didn't feel like cleaning it at the time) soaking in a 5 gallon bucket of water and a couple cups of bleach.Then Ill have a couple dry filters waiting to be used and surely one in the skimmer.This is the way I have been filtering my pool now for 3 seasons and I always BATTLE algae.These filters are new each year, by the way.

Floccing has been the only way to be shun of it. Even then it comes back in about 3 to 5 days.(With an algecide.)Y ou know the pool store insisted on this.With all this said, I began reading your web site this summer and became convinced that I could do this your way, the BBB way.Yet I did use the 10% pool shock because it stated it was 10% sodium hydrochlorite or close to that word. A gallon of bleach at 8% around here is about $3.50. How do I know about sodium hydrochloride? The pool forum of course.

I know Ive been long winded,but i am like a kid at Christmas since my pool began turnin around in the right direction today.I mean I was full of no hope and had given up on pool stores in my 1st. season.I had no where else to go.This Friday I am ordering the Taylor test kit thru amazon thru The pool forum.I cant wait to get that!!

One question before I go; Since my pool has turned from green to a very cloudy blue within 8 hours, do I keep shocking with 3 gallons each evening? I know, I know,this is probably where a really good test kit is needed. But just your educated guess is great with with me. Finally, do you think my filter system is even capable of removing the dead algae? If I must floc what do I use and when? Are you still there? Thats it from me. Entirely grateful to this web site and these people on it that I don't even know who so freely took their time to help little ole me.

Thanks, best regards, Barry.

PoolDoc
04-29-2014, 07:17 PM
1. Go get a cheap OTO/phenol red test kit at Walmart or somewhere, and test your water. Report the results. BUT . . . continue adding chlorine sufficient to maintain a DARK yellow result the following AM. However, add the 3 gallons at least one more time, AFTER brushing the pool 100%. You want to make sure you've stirred up, and exposed all the algae to chlorine.

2. Go ahead with your plan to get a K2006; you'll need it.

3. BUT . . . you'll also need to order replacement cartridges. The Intex cartridge work fairly well . . . if you follow the manufacturer's guidelines and REPLACE them every week or so. They are not high-quality enough to clean successfully. The "Super Simple" recipe for soft-side pools (link in my signature) has links to Amazon Unicel and Filbur cartridges that will fit.

4. It's going to be a while before you have the K2006 and the cartridges. If you have used a floc successfully in the past, and can settle most of the algae, and vacuum it out . . . DO SO. You can use the high quality cartridges to remove what you can't vacuum. But do not try to floc it, till you are SURE it's all dead.

dncellis2
04-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the fast reply and your advise. Ill send numbers tomorrow A.M. Barry.

dncellis2
04-30-2014, 09:43 AM
1. Go get a cheap OTO/phenol red test kit at Walmart or somewhere, and test your water. Report the results. BUT . . . continue adding chlorine sufficient to maintain a DARK yellow result the following AM. However, add the 3 gallons at least one more time, AFTER brushing the pool 100%. You want to make sure you've stirred up, and exposed all the algae to chlorine.

2. Go ahead with your plan to get a K2006; you'll need it.

3. BUT . . . you'll also need to order replacement cartridges. The Intex cartridge work fairly well . . . if you follow the manufacturer's guidelines and REPLACE them every week or so. They are not high-quality enough to clean successfully. The "Super Simple" recipe for soft-side pools (link in my signature) has links to Amazon Unicel and Filbur cartridges that will fit.

4. It's going to be a while before you have the K2006 and the cartridges. If you have used a floc successfully in the past, and can settle most of the algae, and vacuum it out . . . DO SO. You can use the high quality cartridges to remove what you can't vacuum. But do not try to floc it, till you are SURE it's all dead.

Hello,Its Barry again and here are my test results from this morning at 8:30 AM. These results are from the walmart OTO/PHEN test kit. Free chlorine= 5.0 and bright yellow. Combined chlorine= (After 5 minutes)>5.0 and dark yellow. PH= 7.8 Please let me know your advise from here.I am goimg to brush entire pool now and will check back. Truly greatful, Barry.

PoolDoc
04-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Looks good; my original recommendations still apply.

dncellis2
04-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Looks good; my original recommendations still apply.

Thanks again for your help.Ill post back when I get my new cartriges and test kit.I sincerily thank you for your help.Barry.

PoolDoc
04-30-2014, 09:50 PM
you're welcome . . .