PDA

View Full Version : Ready-Set-GO, almost!

wilsol4
04-25-2014, 12:46 PM
OK. New liner is in. Pool has been filled. Pump is being replaced. Pool water has been sitting for about a week, due to problem after problem with pump replacement. Hopefully that will be resolved today. When all is green light to GO and everything is fixed....what next?

I have a K-2006 testing kit. How long after circulation should I check the water? I have been maintaining with Bleach and a kayak paddle to circulate while the pump is down. Now what, when the pump is installed? Is someone able to help me with the readings because the user manual of the K-2006 is quite overwhelming, even for me with an engineering degree.

I do have the following on hand to maintain the pool:

FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 (and K-1000)
Kem-Tek Concentrating Granules (013)
Kem-Tek 3" Chlorinating Tablets (107)
Bleach
Borax (Mule Team?)

As a side note, I have 3 bags of shock from last year that need to be used first, according to another post I read
(came from Wal-mart, 5 in 1, I think).

Watermom
04-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Depending on what the ingredients are, you may or may not want to use the shock from last year.

Take a look at the SS simple recipe for starting up a smaller pool that is in my signature below. Then, if you have further questions, come on back and someone will try and help you get your new pool going!

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

(By the way, we typically recommend to people that they don't worry about the manual that comes with the K2006. The kit is great. The manual as you noted is not. You can find all the info you need right here on this forum and also on our sister website poolsolutions.com.)

wilsol4
04-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought I read somewhere that if I post my testing readings, that someone will be able to tell me how/what to adjust?

wilsol4
04-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Thought/Question: Is the bleach diluted enough that it isn't going to bleach out our swimsuits/agitate our skin?

Watermom
04-25-2014, 04:31 PM
If you post water testing results, someone will be happy to help you determine if any adjustments need to be made.

Using bleach will not fade swimsuits. Bleach is 8% sodium hypochlorite whereas many pool stores sell liquid chlorine that is 10 or 12% sodium hypochlorite. People seldom are concerned about buying and using pool store liquid chlorine but get scared upon hearing the word 'bleach.'
We generally suggest either pouring it directly into the skimmer while the pump is running or in front of a return jet. Either way, the bleach will quickly be dispersed into the volume of the pool.

Hope this helps! :)